Kerala government hands over golf club back to membersJune 3rd, 2008 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 3 (IANS) A day after taking possession of the century-old Trivandrum Golf Club, the state government Tuesday handed it back after the members obtained an order from the Kerala High Court Monday. Justice Siri Jagan passed the order a few hours after the revenue department took possession of the club in the state capital after a hasty operation Monday.
The court also asked Revenue Secretary Nivedita Haran to appear before it next Monday and said she had violated norms and shown disrespect to the court.
But putting up a brave face, state Revenue Minister K.P. Rajendran said the government would appeal against the verdict.
“Discussions are going on at the highest level and we are committed that government land be protected at any cost,” said Rajendran after a high level meeting held here Tuesday.
The cabinet meeting Saturday had decided to take over the club, situated on a 25-acre plot of prime property in the heart of the city, as it had outstanding dues to the state.
The government machinery was soon set in order. A team of revenue officials reached the club and asked its functionaries to vacate the premises within 48 hours.
The club’s facilities are used regularly by less than 200 members, most of whom are bureaucrats and politicians.
It is reported that the state government is planning to engage a lawyer of repute to present their case.
Leader of opposition Oommen Chandy lashed out at the government for not listening to the advice of the advocate general, who had asked the state government not to act in haste.
“The government owes an explanation why they did not take the advice of the advocate general,” said Chandy
- Kerala government takes over Trivandrum Golf Club - Dec 04, 2009
- Court raps Kerala government for Golf Club take-over - Jun 02, 2008
- Chandy not in favour of state finance for golf club - May 02, 2012
- We will take over golf club as per rules: Achuthanandan - Sep 23, 2008
- Court hands over golf club to Kerala government (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- We stand vindicated on golf club: Kerala Minister - Jun 17, 2010
- Kerala palm oil scam: Fresh probe ordered in Chandy's role - Aug 08, 2011
- Chandy gives up vigilance portfolio after probe order - Aug 09, 2011
- CBI summons Jagan for questioning May 25 - May 23, 2012
- 2006 Chandy deal: Heated debate, walkout in Kerala assembly - Oct 25, 2011
- Court allows Jagan to vote in presidential election - Jul 17, 2012
- Supreme Court notices to six Andhra ministers (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Jagan to be produced in court Monday - May 28, 2012
- Vigilance quizzes Achuthanandan in land transfer case - Jun 23, 2012
- CBI to continue questioning Jagan Sunday (Lead) - May 26, 2012
Tags: acre plot, advocate general, brave face, cabinet meeting, face state, government hands, government land, government machinery, heart of the city, jagan, kerala high court, leader of opposition, nivedita, prime property, rajendran, revenue minister, revenue officials, revenue secretary, state revenue, taking possession