Kerala government doctors to go on strikeMay 19th, 2008 - 8:36 am ICT by admin
Kozhikode, May 18 (IANS) Doctors working in Kerala’s health department will go on an indefinite strike from May 22 to protest “anomalies” in their salary scales. The state committee of the Kerala Government Medical Officers’ Association (KGMOA) took the decision here Sunday.
A majority of doctors in the government serviceare members of the association and the strike could cripple public health care in the state-run hospitals.
According to the KGMOA, the doctors get Rs.4,050 less in salary compared to officials of the same rank in other state government departments.
“We were demanding this (removing anomalies in salary scales) for the last two years. The association went on strikes twice over the issue. Both were one-day strikes. The first one was on April 17, 2006 and the second one was May 15 this year,” KGMOA president Manoj Narayanan told reporters here.
“We were going very soft on the issue. During both these strikes we attended on all duties except the out-patient services,” he said.
The association said during the indefinite strike the doctors will not take up private practice either “to guard against any misinformation campaign”.
- 5,000 Kerala doctors on daylong strike - May 03, 2011
- Kerala government faces ire over 'murder' of Bihari youth - Aug 18, 2012
- Bihari youth's death: Kerala doctors threaten strike - Aug 27, 2012
- 2,000 doctors on strike in Jharkhand (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Achuthanandan's son-in-law favoured over other doctors? - Jun 05, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh doctors threaten mass leave - Jun 04, 2012
- Bhopal junior doctors to continue strike - Jan 04, 2011
- Rajasthan doctors' strike claims 55 lives - Dec 28, 2011
- Doctors in Rajasthan call off strike (Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- Nurses' strike: Court orders police protection for hospital (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Rajasthan doctors' strike claims 50 lives - Dec 27, 2011
- Doctors call off strike in Maharashtra - Sep 11, 2011
- Hundreds of protesting Rajasthan doctors rejoin duty - Dec 29, 2011
- Kerala to revise staff salaries by April - Nov 13, 2010
- Talks between Karnataka Government, doctors fail - Sep 29, 2009
Tags: anomalies, government doctors, health department, hospitals, indefinite strike, manoj, medical officers, misinformation campaign, narayanan, patient services, private practice, public health care, salary, state committee, state government departments, strikes