Kerala for talks to end dam row (Lead)January 26th, 2012 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 26 (IANS) Kerala is confident of finding a solution to the Mullaperiyar dam dispute with Tamil Nadu, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said Thursday.
Speaking after hoisting the national flag at the Central Stadium here, Chandy also regretted that Kerala’s secular traditions had now come under attack.
Chandy took the Republic Day parade salute here as Governor M.O.H. Farook has been unwell for some time.
H.R. Bhardwaj, who holds charge in the absence of Farook, could not come as he is the Karnataka governor.
Chandy said that on the dam issue, his government sought safety for Kerala and water for Tamil Nadu.
“We are confident that through talks we will be able to find a solution and maintain cordial relations between the two states,” he said.
The chief minister added that despite keeping the “secular flag” flying high, it was unfortunate there had been efforts in some quarters “to dilute the secular principles of our state.
“It is best that those who did this correct themselves and if that does not happen, then the people of our state will take up that effort,” he added.
He said the plan outlay for the Twelfth Five Year Plan was more than Rs.1.50 lakh crore. “This will propel our state into newer realms of development.”
Chandy’s cabinet colleagues took the salute at similar parades in 13 other district headquarters.
- Governor unwell, Chandy takes R-Day parade salute - Jan 26, 2012
- Kerala committed to new Mullaperiyar dam: Governor - Mar 01, 2012
- Chandy writes to Jayalalithaa on Mullaperiyar row - Dec 18, 2011
- New Mullaperiyar Dam will be a reality: Chandy - Jan 04, 2012
- PM calls for restraint on Mullaperiyar Dam issue - Dec 14, 2011
- Kerala, Tamil Nadu officials to discuss Mullaperiyar dam - Dec 05, 2011
- Opposition will raise funds to build new dam: Achuthanandan - Nov 30, 2011
- Chandy writes to Jayalalithaa on Mullaperiyar row (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Mullaperiyar Dam: Chandy, AIADMK MPs meet PM - Dec 02, 2011
- Kerala governor Farook dies in Chennai hospital (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Now ad war over Mullaperiyar dam - Dec 19, 2011
- Kerala presses for new dam with demonstrations, shutdown - Nov 29, 2011
- Dam row: Chandy in Delhi Thursday, likely to meet PM - Dec 01, 2011
- Talks likely with Tamil Nadu on Mullaperiyar: Chandy - Dec 03, 2011
- Persuading Tamil Nadu, Kerala on Mullaperiyar: PM - Dec 17, 2011
Tags: absence, bhardwaj, cabinet colleagues, chief minister, cordial relations, district headquarters, farook, kerala, lakh, mullaperiyar dam, national flag, parades, plan outlay, quarters, republic day, rs 1, salute, secular traditions, two states