Kerala CPI-M leader charged with murder, conspiracyMay 28th, 2012 - 1:02 pm ICT by IANS
Idukki (Kerala), May 28 (IANS) Two days after a top CPI-M Kerala leader claimed his party had physically annihilated foes in Idukki district, police Monday registered three cases of murder and conspiracy against him.
According to police, cases were registered in Thodupuzha, around 220 km from state capital Thiruvananthapuram, against M.M. Moni, Idukki district secretary of the Communist Part of India-Marxist.
Moni sent shock waves Friday night when he told a public rally in the Santhampara area in Thodupuzha that the CPI-M has in the past resorted to killing political foes and listed out four such murders.
These murders reportedly took place in Idukki district in the 1980s.
Police said three of the four murder cases were dismissed for want of evidence and those arrested were let off after the trial.
“Since the cases have been registered under non-bailable sections (sections 302 and 109 of the Indian Penal Code), the arrest of Moni should take place anytime,” a legal expert told IANS.
Kerala’s Director General of Police T. Asif Ali had given a legal opinion that the cases could be reopened in view of the new disclosures by the CPI-M leader. The Oommen Chandy government had also said that Moni’s revelation was “a very serious issue.”
Known for his fiery diatribe, Moni had said that in the past, his party activists in one case shot dead one of their political adversaries; in another one person was stabbed to death; and yet in another case, a person was beaten to death.
He went on to add that CPI-M is one such party which owns up the crimes it commits.
With the CPI-M in the dock over two murders (T.P. Chandrasekharan on May 4 and Shukoor murder case in February this year) and with a number of its cadres arrested for their involvement in them, Moni’s revelations have doled out another blow to the party.
- Kerala CPI-M leader charged with murder (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Will ask poll panel to cancel CPI-M's registration: UDF - May 28, 2012
- CPI-M pulls up leader for murder claims - May 27, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M facing tough times (Letter from Kerala) - Jun 30, 2012
- Will act if murder link proved: CPI-M - Jun 11, 2012
- The killing fields of Kerala - Jun 01, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader arrested in murder case - Aug 01, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader held for murder, party calls shutdown (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Chargesheet soon in ex-Marxist leader's murder - Jul 14, 2012
- Mani approaches high court to quash FIR - Jun 05, 2012
- CPI-M legislator, 32 others charged in IUML worker murder - Aug 23, 2012
- Case will be made against CPI-M leader Mani: Chandy (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- IUML worker's murder: Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail - Aug 27, 2012
- CPI-M legislator remanded in custody in murder case (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Bail denied to Kerala CPI-M leaders in murder case - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: asif ali, case shot, chandrasekharan, CPI, district police, district secretary, indian penal code, legal expert, legal opinion, murder case, murder cases, murder conspiracy, oommen chandy, party activists, political adversaries, political foes, public rally, shock waves, thiruvananthapuram, thodupuzha