Kerala court cancels Varkala assembly pollAugust 21st, 2012 - 1:27 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Aug 21 (IANS) The Kerala High Court Tuesday cancelled the election held at Varkala assembly constituency following a petition by Bahujan Samaj Party’s (BSP) S. Prahaladan, whose nomination was found not in order.
Prahaladan’s nomination was not found in order by the returning officer because of technical flaws. Upholding his petition against the decision, the court cancelled the election at the Varkala constituency in the capital district.
The verdict appears to be a setback for the Oommen Chandy-led United Democratic Front (UDF) government, which is ruling with a tiny majority of six seats. The Varkala seat has been a Congress citadel since 2001.
In the 140 assembly, the Congress-led government has 73 seats and the opposition has 67 seats.
Varkala Kahar had scored a hat-trick at the Varkala seat in the 2011 assembly polls.
But the court gave time to Kahar to approach the Supreme Court against the verdict.
“This is not a verdict against me. I will approach the apex court and I am confident that I will get a favourable verdict,” said Kahar.
UDF convener P.P. Thankachan reacted to the news by saying that an appeal would be filed.
“Moreover, we do not fear a by-election. We have won two by-elections since the government assumed office in May 2011,” said Thankachan.
CPI state secretary Panniyan Ravindran said the court order was bad news for the government.
“There is all round chaos in the UDF now and a by-election will be tough for the government,” said Ravindran.
- Kerala court stays Varkala poll cancellation order (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Stage set for Kerala assembly by-election - Mar 16, 2012
- UDF wins Kerala by-election (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- 4 Left legislators willing to cross over: Kerala UDF leader - Apr 23, 2012
- In Kerala by-election, it is Chandy versus Achuthanandan - Mar 09, 2012
- High voter turnout in Piravom by-poll in Kerala - Mar 17, 2012
- Court dismisses Jagan's bail plea - Jun 01, 2012
- Neyattinkara to go to polls June 2 - Apr 24, 2012
- Kerala opposition to seek governor's intervention - Feb 25, 2011
- Neyattinkara by-poll crucial for Kerala parties (Kerala Newsletter) - May 19, 2012
- Cabinet berths for Congress' Kerala allies - May 16, 2011
- YSR party wants by-polls in one go - Feb 13, 2012
- Andhra chief minister owns responsibility for Congress defeat - Mar 21, 2012
- Congress scores in Karnataka, Gujarat, mauled in Andhra (Roundup) - Mar 21, 2012
- Congress wins Kerala bypoll (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: apex, apex court, assembly poll, assembly polls, bad news, bahujan samaj party, bsp, citadel, constituency, CPI, hat trick, kahar, kerala high court, oommen chandy, ravindran, returning officer, samaj, setback, state secretary, technical flaws