Kerala clears decks for 10 more SEZsSeptember 20th, 2008 - 12:44 am ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Sep 19 (IANS) The state committee of Kerala’s ruling Left Democratic Front (LDF) Friday approved 10 more applications for establishing special economic zones (SEZs) but asked the V.S. Achuthanandan government to draft a policy document on the issue. The state government will now forward the applications to the central government.
Addressing reporters here after the meeting, LDF convenor Vaikom Viswam said all the apprehensions raised by Achuthanandan had been addressed.
“We have asked the government to see that certain guidelines are strictly adhered to. The guidlines would include that 70 percent of the area should be used for productive purposes and the rest can have hotels, halls and accommodation facilities.
“At no cost will agricultural land be acquired for SEZs and they should have only labour-friendly polices. Tariff concessions will be restricted in sales tax, electricity tariffs and building taxes,” said Viswam.
These guidelines are stricter than the central government rules that require only 50 percent utilization of the land area for productive purposes for industries.
- Kerala's ruling front gets into poll mode - Dec 22, 2010
- Left to continue protests till endosulfan is banned - May 02, 2011
- Tatas' domination in Munnar should end, says LDF - Feb 18, 2010
- Former CPI-M leader killed in Kerala - May 05, 2012
- Revised SEZ policy in 3-4 weeks: Commerce secretary - Jul 26, 2012
- Assocham for tax sops to promote SEZs - Apr 22, 2012
- We can't change our anti-SEZ stand: Mamata - Apr 27, 2012
- Kerala polls: Left manifesto promises 2.5 million new jobs - Mar 15, 2011
- LDF on warpath against Chandy - Oct 05, 2011
- Kerala's Left Front calls shutdown for endosulphan ban - Apr 26, 2011
- Former CPI-M leader killed in Kerala (Lead) - May 05, 2012
- Kerala LDF opposes sanction to new CBSE schools - Jun 20, 2011
- Kerala: Left promises 2.5 million new jobs (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Another setback for delayed Kerala Smart City project - Nov 26, 2008
- Division in Left alliance over seat sharing in Kerala - Mar 04, 2009