Kerala chief minister out of poll fray (Lead)March 16th, 2011 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, March 16 (IANS) Kerala Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan will not contest the upcoming assembly polls and his number two Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan will lead the election campaign of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M), the party decided here Wednesday.
The decision to drop the 87-year-old leader from the list of candidates for the April 13 elections was taken at a marathon four-hour meeting of the CPI-M state secretariat, party sources said.
Emerging from the meeting, a grim-faced Achuthanandan refused to answer any questions and said “those responsible for briefing this will let you know”.
CPI-M state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan, and Achuthanandan’s arch rival, will also not contest the polls the committee decided, sources said.
The decisions will have to be endorsed by the 81-member state committee.
The party secretariat has decided that Balakrishnan will contest from Thalassery seat in Kannur district.
In 2006, Achuthanandan was denied a party ticket but following a huge public outcry, the national leadership had to reverse its decision. He led the Left Front’s poll campaign and went on to become the chief minister.
Reacting to the development, veteran Congress leader Aryadan Mohammed said it is immaterial to the fortunes of the opposition front if Achuthanandan contests or not.
- Achuthanandan, three ministers out of Kerala poll fray (Second Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- Achuthanandan to contest Kerala polls from Malampuzha (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Achuthanandan to contest Kerala polls (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Vijayan denies complaining against Achuthanandan - Aug 13, 2011
- Achuthanandan, Pinarayi tensions under scanner again (Letter from Kerala) - Oct 27, 2011
- Kerala polls : CPI (M) reverses decision, fields Achuthanandan from Malampuzha - Mar 18, 2011
- CPI-M expels senior leader in Kerala - Jun 24, 2012
- Achuthanandan seeks Vijayan's removal from CPI-M post - May 20, 2012
- Out of politburo, Achuthanandan is miffed - Apr 09, 2012
- Crucial five day Kerala CPI-M party meeting starts Sunday - Jun 16, 2012
- Achuthanandan not in politburo, Buddhadeb in - Apr 09, 2012
- Achuthanandan not to contest Kerala polls - Mar 16, 2011
- Media creation, says Vijayan of Achuthanandan letter - May 21, 2012
- Achuthanandan's candidature in state unit's hands - Mar 05, 2011
- Kerala CPI-M leader held for murder, party calls shutdown (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: arch rival, assembly polls, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress leader, home minister, kerala chief minister, member state, national leadership, party secretariat, party ticket, pinarayi vijayan, poll campaign, poll fray, public outcry, s poll, state committee, state secretariat, state secretary, v s achuthanandan