Kerala assembly again disrupted over twin murdersJune 14th, 2012 - 2:35 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 14 (IANS) Four bills were passed without any discussion Thursday as the Kerala assembly was disrupted for the third consecutive day by opposition legislators demanding immediate arrest of Indian Union Muslim League’s (IUML) lawmaker P.K. Basheer, who has been named in a twin murder case.
Trouble began as soon as the house met at 8.30 a.m. with members of the Left parties shouting slogans, prompting Speaker G. Karthikeyan to suspend the question hour.
He returned to the chair an hour later and said that talks with opposition leaders had yielded no solution and, with four important bills to be passed, he had no option but to go ahead with the listed business of the day.
In a flash, four bills were passed. Before adjourning the house for the day, a visibly upset Karthikeyan said: “It’s some sort of a record for the assembly that four bills have been passed without any discussion; this does not augur well for the house.”
Basheer, who was present in the house, has been named in the killing of brothers Azad and Abubacker in Malappuram district Sunday night. The brothers’ family members allege that Basheer was part of a conspiracy behind their murders.
Basheer had in a speech earlier this month said that the IUML would hit back at those who had killed A. Rehman, an IUML activist, after a clash at a football tournament in Malappuram in January.
- Kerala house adjourned over murder controversy - Jun 13, 2012
- Kerala IUML legislator named in murder case - Jun 11, 2012
- Kerala assembly stalled, opposition demands IUML member's arrest - Jun 12, 2012
- Caste considerations at play as Chandy mulls cabinet expansion (Kerala Newsletter) - Apr 07, 2012
- Trouble in Kerala's ruling coalition over ministership claims - Mar 26, 2012
- Right to Service becomes law in Kerala - Jul 25, 2012
- Chandy off to Delhi to discuss fifth berth controversy - Apr 15, 2012
- Kerala opposition demands emergency assembly session - Jul 20, 2011
- Ice cream parlour sex case is Kerala poll issue - Apr 12, 2011
- Sex scandal case review plan a conspiracy: E. Ahamed - Jan 31, 2011
- Left protests Kerala legislators' suspension - Oct 18, 2011
- 187 amendments played spoiler to Lokpal bill: Government (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Lokpal in Rajya Sabha, Congress in Trinamool tangle (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Peace at last in parliament, crucial bills passed (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Stormy start to parliament, 8 Congress MPs suspended (Roundup) - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: activist, adjourning, azad, basheer, clash, conspiracy, family members, football tournament, iuml, june 14, lawmaker, left parties, legislators, malappuram, murder case, murders, muslim league, opposition leaders, rehman, slogans