Kejriwal meets ailing Hazare, poll campaign uncertain (Second Lead)January 2nd, 2012 - 10:28 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, Jan 2 (IANS) Team Anna’s campaign against the Congress in the forthcoming assembly polls in five states is dependent on Anna Hazare’s health, Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal said Monday after meeting the ailing activist in hospital here.
“It (the campaign) depends entirely on his health and suggestions by doctors,” he told reporters after visiting Hazare in Sancheti Hospital.
The activist, admitted with chest congestion, has been advised a month’s rest. The 74-year-old is also suffering from osteosporosis, a doctor said.
Kejriwal added that Team Anna’s core committee meeting slated for Monday and Tuesday has been postponed till Hazare recovers.
“His health is most important to us. The whole country and its people want Anna Hazare to remain healthy. His health is of prime importance and we would take into account every suggestion that is given by the doctors,” Kejriwal said.
Kejriwal denied that Hazare’s health had deteriorated due to the hunger strike in Mumbai, adding that Team Anna had requested him not to undertake the fast.
“Anna was not well before the three-day fast began. Anna never said that his health deteriorated because of the fast. He had an infection and he was unwell for the past three days before the fast,” Kejriwal said.
Kejriwal said Hazare has shown signs of improvement and was feeling better Monday.
“Anna’s health is improving and the chest congestion is reduced,” he said.
Parag Sancheti, who is treating Hazare, said the activist will be administered intravenous antibiotics for five days. He has been advised not to undertake any stressful activity or fast for a month.
“Anna does not require strict bed rest but he should not undertake any stressful activity,” Sancheti said.
Hazare, 74, was rushed to the hospital here from his village Ralegan Siddhi just before midnight Saturday for treatment.
Earlier Monday, the doctor said his vital parameters were fine as were his lungs.
“He got up on time, he was looking fresh and had his breakfast normally. His pulse rate and blood pressure is normal though blood pressure was on the higher side yesterday night. Lung function test was carried out today morning, that is absolutely normal,” he said.
On Dec 28, Hazare called off his three-day hunger strike in Mumbai for a strong Lokpal on the second day due to his health concerns.
The exercise to hold assembly polls in five states — Goa, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Manipur and Punjab — will begin Jan 28 and end March 3.
- Anna advised a month's rest, uncertainty over poll plans (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Anna advised month's rest, uncertainty over poll plans - Jan 02, 2012
- Hazare hospitalised for chest infection, stable (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- Hazare stable, responding well to treatment - Jan 04, 2012
- Nothing wrong with my medicines: Hazare - Jan 31, 2012
- Hazare might be admitted to Pune hospital: Associate - Dec 31, 2011
- Hazare's health improves - Jan 05, 2012
- No talks if fasting protesters forcefully removed: Anna Hazare (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Listen to doctors, cops tell Team Anna (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Anna not to campaign in poll-bound states: Bedi - Jan 05, 2012
- Hazare dehydrated, asked to end fast (Second Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Team Anna hardens stand, cops want them hospitalised (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Anna slams government, Kejriwal to carry on fast (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Fasting Team Anna members refuse to go to hospital (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Hazare's health stable on second day of fast - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: activist, anna hazare, arvind kejriwal, assembly polls, chest congestion, committee meeting, congress, core committee, doctors, forthcoming assembly, health team, hunger strike, intravenous antibiotics, lungs, mumbai, poll campaign, prime importance, signs, strict bed rest, vital parameters