Kate’s first-born could inherit British throneApril 16th, 2011 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 16 (IANS) The first born of British royal couple Prince William and Kate Middleton could inherit the throne, irrespective of whether it is a boy or a girl.
Under current rules, the prince’s first-born son would be next in line to the throne, even if he has an elder sister.
The government is reportedly looking at ways to give princesses the same right as any prince, Sky News reported citing the Telegraph.
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg - responsible for constitutional reform within the government - is reportedly pursuing the plan to scrap the old rule.
Clegg is reported to have the got queen’s consent also, if the common people want first-born princesses to reign.
But Prime Minister David Cameron is reportedly less keen on the change due to complications involved.
He believes that to achieve it would be complex and time-consuming at a time when the government’s attention should be on tackling the country’s deficit.
Buckingham Palace would not comment on the report.
- Prince William, Kate Middleton's daughter could become Queen - Apr 16, 2011
- William wants Kate to be called 'princess' - May 01, 2011
- Princess Di's family to occupy front row at Wills-Kate wedding - Apr 24, 2011
- Kate Middleton's parents do their bit for the royal wedding - Mar 15, 2011
- Fans camp at Westminster Abbey for Royal Wedding - Apr 27, 2011
- David Cameron, wife to host royal wedding street party - Mar 28, 2011
- Fairytale wedding for Will-Kat - world hopes happily ever after - Apr 29, 2011
- William and Kate to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge post wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Conservative David Cameron Is The New British PM - May 12, 2010
- Wills-Kat invited to honeymoon in Spain - Apr 08, 2011
- Women make style statements with hats at royal wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- Pippa Middleton's post royal wedding party plans scare palace aides - Apr 28, 2011
- Kate Middleton to ride in Diana's carriage - Mar 22, 2011
- Libyan children 'congratulate' royal couple in a bizarre way - May 01, 2011
- Gender bias in succession to British throne to end - Oct 28, 2011
Tags: buckingham palace, common people, constitutional reform, david cameron, deputy prime minister, elder sister, first born, kate middleton, london, minister david, prince william, prince william and kate, prince william and kate middleton, queen, royal couple, sky news, telegraph, time consuming, william and kate