Kashmir education minister resigns (Lead)February 10th, 2012 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Feb 10 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir Education Minister Peerzada Mohammad Sayeed Friday quit after police indicted him for the use of unfair means by his son in the Class 10 Board examination in 2009.
Peerzada Sayed, a pillar of the Congress in Kashmir, however sent his resignation to Congress president Sonia Gandhi, saying he had no faith in Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, family and party sources said.
A veteran politician, Peerzada has been winning elections from Kokkernag in south Kashmir.
This is the second time in four years that Peerzada has resigned.
In 2008, he stepped down following charges that he demanded a bribe from a legislator.
This time, it was alleged that his son used unfair means in the Class 10 examination in 2009. The chief minister had ordered a probe.
The probe by the Crime Branch of the state police indicted the minister for allegedly helping his son. The report was submitted Wednesday.
Since Peerzada belongs to Congress, the chief minister was waiting for the green signal for action against the education minister.
In 2010, the chief minister sacked public works minister G.M. Saroori when it was discovered that his daughter had allegedly used an impersonator in an entrance test to secure admission into a medical college.
- Kashmir's examgate: education minister indicted? (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Kashmir's examgate: education minister indicted ? - Feb 08, 2012
- Peerzada says Sonia rejected his resignation - Feb 11, 2012
- Kashmir minister says Sonia rejected resignation letter (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Omar divests minister of education portfolio - Feb 11, 2012
- Kashmir education minister resigns over examgate - Feb 10, 2012
- Kashmir Congress works at unity to seek portfolios - Feb 17, 2012
- Omar Abdullah sacks Roads and Buildings Minister Saroori in J-K - Aug 26, 2010
- Kashmir education minister cheated for son's exam? (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Peerzada's ouster a dark shadow on Congress in Valley (Kashmir Newsletter) - Feb 11, 2012
- Chidambaram will clarify on anti-terror hub, says Farooq - Feb 18, 2012
- Kashmir minister asked to resign after pilgrimage - Aug 25, 2010
- Kashmir education minister cheated for son's exam? - Jan 30, 2012
- Senior National Conference leader quits party post - Aug 25, 2010
- PDP disrupts Kashmir assembly over corruption - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: admission, bribe, chief minister, congress president sonia gandhi, crime branch, education minister, impersonator, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, legislator, medical college, mohammad, party sources, pillar, resignation, sayeed, second time, state police, veteran politician, winning elections