Kashmir assembly condemns Pakistani Sikh’s beheading (Lead)February 23rd, 2010 - 4:16 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Feb 23 (IANS) The Jammu and Kashmir assembly Tuesday condemned the beheading of a Sikh in Pakistan as “barbaric” and demanded that Islamabad be asked to provide protection to minorities in that country.
The issue was raised by Revenue Minister Raman Bhalla, who said the incident had shaken the community across India. He said protests in Jammu over the issue was reflective of the anger of the community and others over the incident.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party and other members of the house also condemned the incident as “barbaric”. They said the Pakistan government should be asked to stop such incidents.
Sikhs in Jammu held demonstrations. They also blocked the Jammu-Pathankote highway and burnt effigies of the Taliban and Pakistan.
“We demand that the government of India tell Pakistan in the strongest possible terms that Sikhs will not tolerate this kind of barbaric action against their community members in Pakistan,” said Mahant Manjit Singh, a Sikh religious leader.
The Taliban reportedly beheaded the Sikh and sent back his severed head Sunday for his refusal to convert to Islam.
- BJP takes Sikh's beheading protest to Pakistan border - Feb 23, 2010
- Beheading of Sikh condemned by Pakistan, India (Intro Roundup) - Feb 23, 2010
- After beheading, Pakistani Sikhs want to flee to India (Roundup) - Feb 22, 2010
- PDP condemns beheading of Sikh in Pakistan - Feb 22, 2010
- Jammu Sikhs protest beheading of Pakistani Sikhs - Feb 23, 2010
- India condemns abduction of Hindu, beheading of Sikh in Pakistan - Feb 24, 2010
- Sikhs protest beheading of Sikhs in Pakistan - Feb 23, 2010
- Beheading of Sikhs "most barbaric," says S M Krishna - Feb 22, 2010
- Prashant Bhushan attacked, one held - Oct 12, 2011
- Two Sikhs kidnapped in Pakistan rescued - Mar 01, 2010
- Kashmiri Sikhs protest against Rajoana's hanging - Mar 28, 2012
- SGPC, Akal Takht condemns beheading of Sikh youths by Taliban in Pakistan - Feb 22, 2010
- Relief package for migrants on the way - Oct 09, 2011
- Sikhs in Jammu and Kashmir protest Taliban act, call shutdown Tuesday - Feb 22, 2010
- Agitated Sikhs block Jammu- Pathankot highway - May 03, 2009
Tags: barbaric action, bhalla, bharatiya janata party, bjp, community members, effigies, government of india, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, mahant, manjit singh, minorities, pakistan government, panthers party, raman, religious leader, revenue minister, sikh, sikhs, taliban