Kasab oblivious to seriousness of charges: new lawyerApril 16th, 2009 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 16 (IANS) Pakistani terrorist Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab does not understand the gravity of the Mumbai terror attacks case or the charges against him, senior criminal lawyer Abbas Kazmi said after being appointed to defend him Thursday.
Kazmi was permitted to meet his new client, Kasab, at the Arthur Road Central Jail premises after the days’ proceedings were completed in the Special Court set up there.
“It is clear from the way he was laughing and giggling in the Special Court Wednesday and Thursday that Kasab has no inkling of the seriousness of the case against him,” Kazmi said.
He said he tried to impress upon Kasab that he could face a life term or a death sentence, but “he does not seem to realise it”.
Kazmi said he was provided police security after he came out of the Special Court. For the 54-year-old Kazmi, a graduate of the K.C. Law College, Mumbai, this will be his first ever Pakistani client, though he has earlier defended a British national in Goa.
He had also appeared on behalf of over two dozen accused in the 1993 Mumbai serial bomb explosions case, and some of the accused in the murder case of music baron Gulshan Kumar.
A well-known criminal lawyer in Mumbi, Kazmi was appointed by the Special Court to defend Kasab. He has replaced Anjali Waghmare whose appointment was revoked by Special Judge M.L. Tahilyani Wednesday on grounds of “professional misconduct”.
- Timeline of case against Kasab - Aug 29, 2012
- Timeline of 26/11 case - Feb 21, 2011
- First phase of Mumbai terror attacks end (Lead) - Dec 16, 2009
- New lawyer Pawar takes charge of Kasab's case - Dec 01, 2009
- Time line of Ajmal Amir Kasab's trial - May 02, 2010
- Timeline of Mumbai terror attacks trial - May 02, 2010
- Timeline in 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks trial - Mar 31, 2010
- I was denied legal help, Kasab tells apex court (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Kasab gets new lawyer to defend him - Apr 16, 2009
- Senior criminal lawyer to defend Kasab, daily hearings begin Friday (Lead) - Apr 16, 2009
- Kasab's terror trial on its last lap (One Year after 26/11) - Nov 15, 2009
- Nov 26, 2008 - May 3, 2010: timeline of 26/11 trial - May 03, 2010
- Expenditure on Kasab not as high as projected: Lawyers - Nov 25, 2011
- Full of drama, ups and downs, Kasab trial ends - Mar 31, 2010
- Kasab's trial to begin today - Apr 17, 2009
Tags: abbas, ajmal, amir, arthur road, bomb explosions, central jail, criminal lawyer, death sentence, goa, gulshan, inkling, kazmi, mohammad, murder case, music baron, police security, professional misconduct, seriousness, special judge, terror attacks