Karzai’s brother escapes attack in AfghanistanMay 18th, 2009 - 4:17 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, May 18 (DPA) A younger brother of Afghan President Hamid Karzai escaped unharmed after an attack on his convoy in eastern Afghanistan Monday, but one of his bodyguards was killed in the ambush.
Ahmadi Wali Karzai, who is head of the provincial council of southern Kandahar province, said that he was returning from eastern Nangarhar province when his convoy came under rocket and machine gun fire in Sorobi district on the Kabul-Jalalabad highway.
“My bodyguards’ car was hit and one of them, a 22 year-old-boy, was killed,” he told DPA.
Karzai said that he along with other tribal elders from Kandahar province had gone to Jalalabad city to meet Gul Agha Sherzai, the provincial governor, who is also from Kandahar.
It was unclear who was behind Monday’s attack and Karzai refused to blame any group. Taliban militants and fighters from Gulbuddin Hekmatyar’s Hezbi Islami, an associate group of the Taliban, are active in the eastern region of the country.
Last month, five suicide bombers attacked an office compound in Kandahar city minutes after Wali Karzai had left, killing at least a dozen people including government officials. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.
Wali Karzai has been accused by some Western media of involvement in the country’s drug business. Both President Karzai and Wali Karzai have strongly denied the allegations and demanded evidence.
In a separate incident, Afghan army soldiers opened fire on shopkeepers in Jalalabad city Monday morning, killing three and wounding another, the defence ministry said in a statement.
The three shooters were apprehended by other army soldiers and were under interrogation, the statement said, adding that the ministry was determined to punish the attackers in order to set an example for other army personnel.
- Afghan president's half-brother killed by bodyguard (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- 10 die in Afghanistan airport suicide blast - Feb 27, 2012
- Seven killed in Afghan clashes against Quran burning - Feb 24, 2012
- Afghan President Hamid Karzai's aide shot dead in attack - Jul 18, 2011
- Five killed in blast at Wali Karzai memorial service - Jul 14, 2011
- 50 militants surrender in Afghanistan - Jan 29, 2012
- Taliban leader, five others killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Afghan provincial governor escapes assassination attempt - Oct 26, 2009
- US condemns assassination of Afghan President's brother - Jul 13, 2011
- Thousands attend funeral of Karzai's half-brother - Jul 13, 2011
- Two attacks kill 16 policemen in Afghanistan (Lead) - Dec 14, 2009
- Pakistan condemns killing of Karzai's half-brother - Jul 12, 2011
- 45 Taliban, 2 soldiers, 5 guards killed in Afghanistan - May 15, 2010
- 10 dead, 12 wounded in Afghan airport bombing (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Blast kills nine Afghan soldiers - Oct 02, 2011
Tags: afghan president hamid, afghan president hamid karzai, afghanistan kabul, army personnel, army soldiers, city minutes, drug business, eastern afghanistan, gulbuddin hekmatyar, hamid karzai, jalalabad, kandahar province, machine gun fire, nangarhar province, president hamid karzai, president karzai, provincial council, southern kandahar, suicide bombers, tribal elders