Karunanidhi urges PM to consider Sri Lankan Tamils’ welfareMay 26th, 2009 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 26 (IANS) Though any interference in the internal affairs of another country has to be avoided, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi has urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to consider Sri Lanka as a “special case” and intervene to help the Tamils.
“Though there is on one side a question of interfering in the internal affairs of a country, which would affect its sovereignty, territorial integrity and independence, Sri Lanka should be treated as a special case,” Karunanidhi wrote to the prime minister.
The chief minister in his letter said the draft resolution the Sri Lankan government has presented to the United Nations Human Rights Council was largely against the interests of Sri Lankan Tamils.
Given this context, Karunanidhi requested Manmohan Singh to take an appropriate decision, keeping in mind the sentiments of the Sri Lankan Tamils and their welfare.
The Indian government has maintained that it cannot interfere in the internal affairs of a sovereign country and the conflict in Sri Lanka was an internal affair of the island nation.
The chief minister’s letter, a copy of which was released here Tuesday, comes after National Security Advisor M.K. Narayanan briefed him May 23 on his Sri Lankan visit.
Sri Lanka’s military action against Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam, which was fighting for a separate Tamil state, concluded successfully with the killing of LTTE chief V. Prabhakaran this month.
The conflict, however, has left tens of thousands of Tamils homeless and they are living in relief camps.
- India non-committal on 'war crimes', studying 'sentiments'(Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Uproar in parliament over Sri Lanka's 'war crimes' (Third Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- India non-committal on Sri Lanka 'war crimes' (Roundup) - Mar 14, 2012
- Karunanidhi seeks UN solution for Sri Lankan Tamils - Aug 21, 2012
- Sri Lanka war crimes: AIADMK dissatisfied with PM's response - Mar 14, 2012
- Do not train Sri Lankans: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- 'PM, Karunanidhi's letters on Sri Lankan Tamils' plight a drama' - Jul 22, 2010
- Prevent attacks on Tamils, Karunanidhi tells PM - Mar 22, 2012
- Amid pressure, PM says India inclined to vote against Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Mar 19, 2012
- Ahead of elections, pro-LTTE journal attacks Karunanidhi - Apr 11, 2011
- India inclined to vote against Sri Lanka: PM (Second Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Karunanidhi wants assessment of Sri Lankan Tamils' rehabilitation - Jul 17, 2010
- AIADMK unhappy with PM over Sri Lanka (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
- Karunanidhi berates Krishna over Sri Lanka - Mar 22, 2012
Tags: chief minister, conflict in sri lanka, draft resolution, internal affair, internal affairs, island nation, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, m karunanidhi, manmohan, manmohan singh, narayanan, national security advisor, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, relief camps, sovereign country, sri lankan government, sri lankan tamils, territorial integrity, united nations human rights council