Karunanidhi urges parties to back quota billSeptember 5th, 2012 - 11:51 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 5 (IANS) DMK president M. Karunanidhi Wednesday appealed to all parties to cooperate in passing in parliament a bill that provides for quotas in promotions for Dalits and tribals in government jobs.
In a statement issued here, he said: “Only two days are remaining for the monsoon session of parliament to end. At this juncture I request all the parties to extend their cooperation in passing the bill.”
The bill, approved by the cabinet Tuesday, was introduced in the upper house by Minister of State in Prime Minister’s Office V. Naryanasamy, amid vociferous protests by the Samajwadi Party members.
According to Karunanidhi, Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh had only demanded such promotion guarantee for the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
“This is an acceptable policy for us. Even DMK parliamentary leader T.R. Baalu has stressed on this aspect,” Karunanidhi said.
- Parliament disrupted, quota bill introduced (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Parliament crippled over coal blocks, quota bill introduced (Roundup) - Sep 05, 2012
- Promotion quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Quota bill in Rajya Sabha, SP, BSP lock horns (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Cabinet nod for job promotion quotas; BJP, SP, BSP spar (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Trouble likely in quota bill passage, PM meets ministers - Sep 05, 2012
- Congress playing double game: Mayawati - Sep 06, 2012
- SP protests promotion quota bill - Sep 05, 2012
- Both Congress and BJP against quota in promotions bill: Mayawati - Sep 05, 2012
- Scuffles, brawls in parliament, state assemblies (Timeline) - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: acceptable policy, castes, dalits, government jobs, juncture, m karunanidhi, minister of state, monsoon session, mulayam singh, parliament, parliamentary leader, party leader, party members, prime minister, protests, quota bill, quotas, Samajwadi Party, tribals, upper house