Karunanidhi to meet Sonia Gandhi TuesdayMay 18th, 2009 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 18 (IANS) DMK chief and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi will meet Congress president Sonia Gandhi Tuesday to discuss the formation of the new council of ministers at the centre and secure cabinet berths for his party MPs.
The DMK executive council met here Monday and authorised Karunanidhi to decide on the party’s stand on joining the next ministry at the centre.
Addressing reporters after the meeting, Karunanidhi said: “We are yet to think about being part of the central cabinet. I will be meeting Sonia Gandhi tomorrow.”
However, he said the new government at the centre will take steps to complete the Sethusamudaram Canal project in the state.
The DMK executive council elected T.R. Baalu as the party’s leader in parliament. It also passed a resolution asking the central government to solve the Sri Lankan Tamil problem through dialogue.
“Fifty years ago, the Tamil freedom movement in Sri Lanka began. Today, the focus is on the safety and peaceful existence of the Tamils there and equal political rights with Sinhalese. And DMK is fighting for this,” said Karunanidhi.
He said if it was true that the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) had laid down arms then it should look for a political solution for the Tamil problem on the lines suggested by the Indian government.
Asked about the possibility of sharing power with the Congress at the state level, the chief minister was non-committal.
“If Delhi (Congress leadership) asks, we will consider such a request,” he said.
- Only Baalu from DMK at UPA dinner (Lead) - May 22, 2011
- DMK's Baalu to attend UPA second anniversary - May 22, 2011
- Karunanidhi to meet Sonia Gandhi Tuesday to discuss cabinet berth - May 18, 2009
- Karunanidh to visit Delhi Monday, Baalu to attend UPA anniversary (Third Lead) - May 22, 2011
- Only Baalu from DMK at UPA dinner (Second Lead) - May 22, 2011
- DMK says talk on withdrawing ministers speculative - Jun 10, 2011
- Karunanidhi in Delhi, to meet Kanimozhi in jail - May 23, 2011
- Karunanidhi reaches Tihar Jail to meet Kanimozhi (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- UPA in crisis as DMK quits government, dumps Congress (Roundup) - Mar 05, 2011
- Baalu meets Sonia - Jan 05, 2011
- DMK ministers to resign from Union Cabinet tomorrow - Mar 06, 2011
- UPA leaders discuss Lokpal bill drafts - Jun 21, 2011
- Antony meets Karunanidhi ahead of presidential polls (Lead) - Apr 29, 2012
- Congress' committee to discuss seat sharing: Karunanidhi (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
- DMK snaps alliance with Congress, quits UPA government (Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: canal project, chief minister, committal, congress leadership, congress president sonia gandhi, council of ministers, delhi congress, dmk chief, executive council, freedom movement, indian government, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, m karunanidhi, peaceful existence, political solution, sinhalese, sri lankan tamil, tamil nadu, tamils