Karunanidhi to meet Sonia Gandhi Tuesday to discuss cabinet berthMay 18th, 2009 - 4:21 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 18 (IANS) DMK leader and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi will meet Congress president Sonia Gandhi Tuesday to discuss the formation of the next government at the centre and giving ministerial berths to his party MPs.
The DMK’s executive council met here Monday and authorized Karunanidhi to decide on the party’s stand on joining the next ministry at the centre.
The council also elected T.R. Baalu as DMK’s parliamentary party leader.
The council passed a resolution asking the central government to get the Sri Lankan Tamil problem resolved through dialogue.
Congratulating Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi for the UPA’s victory, the council also praised M.K. Stalin, M.K. Azhagiri and Kanimozhi for ensuring the DMK combine’s victory in the Lok Sabha elections in Tamil Nadu.
Later, addressing reporters, Karunanidhi said: “We are yet to think about being part of the central cabinet. I will be meeting Sonia Gandhi tomorrow.”
Answering questions on the Sri Lankan Tamil’s issue, he said: “Fifty years ago the Tamil’s freedom movement in Sri Lanka started. Today, the focus is on the safety and peaceful existence of the Tamils there. The DMK is fighting for Tamils enjoying equal political rights with the Sinhalese there.”
He declined to comment on the crowning of his son, Stalin, as the chief minister in near future.
Asked about the possibility of sharing power with the Congress at the state level, Karunanidhi was non-committal and said: “If Delhi (Congress leadership) asks, we will consider such a request.”
Queried about the Sethusamudram canal project, Karunanidhi said that the new government will complete it.
Taking a dig at opposition leaders, he thanked them for defaming him at election rallies which, in turn, made people vote for the DMK combine in large numbers.
- DMK, Congress to hold seat sharing talks Sunday - Feb 19, 2011
- DMK, Congress poll pact talks inconclusive - Feb 20, 2011
- DMK to submit Tamil meet resolutions to UN: Karunanidhi - Sep 04, 2012
- DMK snaps alliance with Congress, quits UPA government (Lead) - Mar 05, 2011
- Tie-up with Congress stays but no new ministers: DMK (Fourth Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- DMK's Baalu to attend UPA second anniversary - May 22, 2011
- DMK will recapture power, says Karunanidhi (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Tie-up with Congress stays but no new ministers: DMK (Third Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- DMK ministers to resign from Union Cabinet tomorrow - Mar 06, 2011
- DMK's executive council starts deliberations - Jul 23, 2011
- DMK ministers meet Pranab, as discussions on seat sharing continue - Mar 08, 2011
- Congress-DMK talks on seat sharing continue - Mar 08, 2011
- Congress-DMK seat-sharing talks inconclusive - Feb 26, 2011
- Only Baalu from DMK at UPA dinner (Lead) - May 22, 2011
- DMK silent on cabinet representation, alliance (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: congress leadership, congress president sonia gandhi, delhi congress, dmk leader, election rallies, elections in tamil nadu, freedom movement, lok sabha elections, m k azhagiri, m karunanidhi, manmohan singh, ministerial berths, opposition leaders, parliamentary party, peaceful existence, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rahul gandhi, sethusamudram canal project, sri lankan tamil