Karunanidhi thanks PM for Rs.16 bn Chennai ExpresswayJanuary 8th, 2009 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 8 (IANS) Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi on the sidelines of the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Thursday thanked the prime minister for the Rs.16 billion (Rs.1,600 crore) Chennai Expressway which is being funded mostly by the central government. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Thursday laid foundation for the expressway linking the northwest suburbs and the harbour here, which will be completed in 36 months.
“Though electoral promises usually come to nothing, this Rs.16 billion fly-over will be built thanks to the excellent centre-state relations cemented by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh,” Karunanidhi told reporters.
The chief minister also pressed for the central government’s active assistance in the completion of the stalled, controversial Sethusamudram Shipping Canal Project in the Palk Strait.
“Eminent leaders of Tamil Nadu, including late chief ministers Kamaraj, (C.N.) Anna (Durai), besides scholars, scientists and poets, have underlined the need for this project that will accord prosperity to the region and result in bridging the divide between us and the people of Sri Lanka,” Karunanidhi said.
“The Sri Lankan government and certain political parties in Tamil Nadu are needlessly placing impediments in the project’s progress for narrow political ends. We hope the central government overlooks these,” Karunanidhi added.
The Rs.24 billion canal project involves dredging the mythological Ram Setu, that is also geograpically known as Adam’s Bridge across the Palk Strait, to facilitate movement of ships.
While environmentalists have opposed the scheme saying it would damage the fragile ecological balance in the vicinity, economists have termed the project nonviable.
Launched in 2005, the Sethusamudram project has been challenged in the Supreme Court.
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- Restart Sethusamudran project: Karunanidhi - Jun 11, 2009
- SC gives more time to centre on Palk Strait channel - Sep 03, 2012
- Declare Ram Sethu a national monument: Jayalalithaa - Mar 28, 2012
- Centre shies from naming Rama Sethu a national monument - Apr 19, 2012
- Quickly build Sethusamudram canal, says CPI-M (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- CPI-M youth wing strikes for implementation of Sethusamudram canal - Feb 12, 2010
- Karunanidhi takes on Delhi over Sri Lanka - Aug 28, 2012
- Tamil Nadu a model state: Manmohan Singh - Apr 09, 2011
- New alignment of Sethusamudram not feasible, court told (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Do not train Sri Lankans: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Karunanidhi calls off fast on Sri Lanka - Mar 19, 2012
- Government plans environmental study of Sethusamudram channel - Jan 14, 2010
Tags: eminent leaders, manmohan singh, pravasi bharatiya divas, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, ram setu, s bridge, sethusamudram project, shipping canal, sri lankan government