Karunanidhi, Jayalalithaa leadMay 13th, 2011 - 2:12 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 13 (IANS) The chiefs of Tamil Nadu’s biggest rival parties - Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi and leader of the opposition J. Jayalalithaa - were leading in their constituencies as the vote count proceeded Friday.
DMK president Karunanidhi, contesting from his home town Tiruvarur for the first time, was leading with over 8,000 votes. Jayalalithaa, the AIADMK chief who contested from her ancestral town Srirangam, was leading over her DMK rival with over 2,000 votes.
Actor-turned-politician and founder of DMDK party A. Vijayakanth is also leading his rival in the Rishivandiyam seat.
DMK ministers like M.R.K. Paneerselvam, Poongothai Aladi Aruna and others are trailing their rivals.
DMK’s senior leader K. Anbazhagan is trailing here while Deputy Chief Minister and Karunanidhi’s son M.K. Stalin is leading over his rival.
AIADMK and DMK are in a straight contest in around 80 seats.
According to trends, the AIADMK, which is contesting in 160 seats, is leading in the majority of seats.
The assembly elections were held April 13.
- 3,082 nominations found valid in Tamil Nadu - Mar 29, 2011
- Karunanidhi wins, son Stalin trails - May 13, 2011
- War of words as Tamil Nadu sees brisk voting (Third Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Poll predicts win for AIADMK alliance - Mar 28, 2011
- Dravidian land all set for battle for power (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 11, 2011
- Brisk polling in Tamil Nadu, rival fronts confident (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Assembly polls: Tamil Nadu records 75 pc voting, Kerala 74 pc, Puducherry 83 pc - Apr 13, 2011
- AIADMK wave sinks DMK in Tamil Nadu (Roundup) - May 13, 2011
- AIADMK wins Sankarankoil by-poll (Second Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Campaigning ends in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 11, 2011
- Millions vote in Tamil Nadu -- amid bribery charges (Second Intro Roundup) - Apr 14, 2011
- AIADMK wins Sankarankoil by-election (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Millions vote in Tamil Nadu -- amid corruption shadow (Roundup) - Apr 13, 2011
- Millions vote in Tamil Nadu -- amid bribery charges (Intro Roundup) - Apr 13, 2011
- AIADMK sweeps Tamil Nadu civic polls - Oct 22, 2011
Tags: actor turned politician, aiadmk chief, aladi aruna, ancestral town, assembly elections, chiefs, constituencies, deputy chief minister, dmk, j jayalalithaa, leader of the opposition, m karunanidhi, rival parties, rivals, stalin, straight contest, tamil nadu, tiruvarur, vijayakanth, vote count