Karunanidhi denies plans to evict Ramakrishna MissionApril 25th, 2008 - 7:17 am ICT by admin
Chennai, April 24 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi denied the charge of the opposition that the state government is contemplating a move to evict the Ramakrishna Mission from the seafront Vivekananda House to build a Tamil research centre. “My government has praised the heroic deeds of (Swami) Vivekananda repeatedly in the past and several buildings named after him have been inaugurated during our past tenures,” Karunanidhi told the state legislative assembly, intervening during a call attention motion.
“The opposition charges are baseless. The research centre for Tamil will be built in Sholinganallur on the Rajiv Gandhi Road (in the southern suburbs of Chennai). Till its completion, the centre will function from a government building Rajaji Salai (on the seafront),” the chief minister clarified.
The opposition had assailed the DMK regime Wednesday for allegedly issuing threats to evict the Ramakrishna Mission from Vivekananda House. Reports earlier suggested a move by the government to house a centre for research on the classical Tamil language in its place.
- PM assures full co-operation to Ramakrishna Mission - Jan 12, 2011
- Opposition members evicted from Tamil Nadu assembly - Jan 07, 2011
- Karunanidhi threatens legal action against AIADMK - Apr 25, 2011
- Mamata mulls autonomy for Ramakrishna Mission schools - Jul 05, 2012
- Karunanidhi backs Advani' on CEC, CAG selection process - Jun 05, 2012
- Pranab visits Belur Math - Jun 24, 2012
- Karunanidhi, DMK have encroached on government land: AIADMK - Sep 06, 2011
- Rs.100 crore Vivekananda education project approved - Sep 03, 2010
- Republic Day celebrated in Tamil Nadu - Jan 26, 2011
- Forced evictions for CWG violated human rights: Report - Feb 07, 2011
- Tamil Eelam is my unrealised dream: Karunanidhi - Mar 23, 2012
- Jayalalithaa demands that CBI question Karunanidhi, family members - Feb 12, 2011
- Tamil Nadu government to convert library into hospital - Nov 02, 2011
- Jayalalithaa deceiving Kudankulam people: Karunanidhi - Mar 20, 2012
- Karunanidhi writes to PM over Lankan navy killing Indian fisherman - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: april 24, chief minister, gandhi road, heroic deeds, legislative assembly, opposition, rajiv gandhi, ramakrishna mission, regime, salai, seafront, southern suburbs, state government, swami, tamil language, tamil research