Karunanidhi, Congress slam politicisation of Sri Lankan Tamils’ issueJanuary 31st, 2009 - 10:24 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 31 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi and Congress state unit president K.V. Thangkabalu Saturday slammed some parties in the state for politicising the issue of Sri Lankan Tamils.”The politicisation of an issue dear to all of is needless and painful,” Karunanidhi said in a statement.
The chief minister’s reaction came after the assault, earlier in the day, on a DMK legislator who placed a wreath on the body of K. Muthu Kumaran, who died after setting himself on fire Thursday to protest killing of Tamil civilians in Tamil Nadu.
Thangkabalu told reporters: “Certain misguided elements were trying to hijack the Tamil cause by pretending to be its custodians despite meaningful efforts by the centre”.
“I am concerned at the rising number of fissiparous elements in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry,” he added.
During the burial of the youth Saturday evening, pro Tamil Eelam slogans were raised by members of the MDMK, VCK and PMK.
Meanwhile, an umbrella organisation comprising MDMK, PMK, the Left and VCK announced a general strike on Feb 4 in support of the “Tamil cause”.
Over 300 sympathisers of the banned Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) courted arrest in the vicinity of an airbase in Thanjavur, 300 km south of here, alleging it was the place from where Indian weapons were being dispatched for the Sri Lankan army.
A VCK worker was arrested for throwing stones at a hotel belonging to a Sri Lankan businessman in Puducherry early Saturday, according to the union territory’s Director General of Police (DGP) Alok Kumar Verma.
“We are taking tough action and more arrests are likely,” Verma added.
Sri Lankan establishments in Tamil Nadu continued to be heavily guarded by the police for the second day, according to official sources.
- Indian MP refused entry into Sri Lanka - Feb 22, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi to address election rally in Puducherry - Apr 05, 2011
- AIADMK attempting to topple regime using Lankan card: Karunanidhi - Jan 19, 2009
- Congress-DMK arrive at seat sharing deal - Mar 03, 2011
- India should help form Tamil Eelam: Ramadoss - Apr 26, 2011
- Question of PMK-DMK alliance doesn't arise now: Karunanidhi - Feb 02, 2011
- Former LTTE leader slams Tamil Nadu politicians - Jul 22, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi to visit poll-bound Tamil Nadu, Puducherry - Apr 04, 2011
- Tamil man kills himself over Sri Lanka violence (Second Lead) - Jan 29, 2009
- Filing of nomination for TN, Puducherry and Kerala to end today - Mar 26, 2011
- DMK dumps Congress for local body polls - Sep 15, 2011
- Send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees: Jayalalithaa - Jul 13, 2012
- DMK-PMK in pact for Tamil Nadu elections (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Indian dies after setting himself ablaze over Sri Lanka war (Lead) - Jan 29, 2009
- Indian sets himself ablaze over Sri Lanka war - Jan 29, 2009
Tags: airbase, chief minister, custodians, indian weapons, kumaran, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, m karunanidhi, mdmk, meaningful efforts, muthu, saturday evening, sri lankan army, sri lankan tamils, tamil cause, tamil civilians, thanjavur, throwing stones, umbrella organisation, union territory, vck