Karnataka speaker accepts Reddy supporter’s resignationOctober 14th, 2011 - 12:19 am ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Oct 13 (IANS) Karnataka assembly Speaker K.G. Bopaiah Thursday accepted the resignation of former state health minister and ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) lawmaker B. Sriramulu, a close associate of Bellary mining barons Reddy brothers.
According to state legislature secretariat, Bopaiah has informed Sriramulu of his decision to accept his resignation as a member from the Bellary rural (reserved) constituency, about 300 km from here.
Sriramulu, who was cabinet minister in the ruling party’s first government in south India under former chief minister B.S. Yeddyurappa, resigned Sept 4.
He put in his papers after he was denied a cabinet berth in the new BJP ministry headed by Chief Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda following his indictment by then Karnataka Lokayukta (ombudsman) Justice (Retd) N. Santosh Hegde in the multi-crore illegal mining scam in the state.
“I am resigning from the assembly as my image and prestige has been damaged after the Lokayukta report named me, though I have not done any wrong,” Sriramulu, a two-time lawmaker, told reporters here Sept 4.
Sriramulu belongs to the Scheduled Tribes community of Valmikis.
With the party’s state unit president K. Eshwarappa Tuesday firmly ruling out Sriramulu’s induction in the new cabinet as he was indicted in the mining scam, Bopaiah acted on the resignation letter.
Besides Sriramulu, Reddy brothers - G. Janardhana and G. Karunakara - who were ministers in the Yeddyurappa cabinet, were also named in the Lokayukta report.
Hegde had recommended July 27 that all three ministers be dropped from the ministry.
- BJP takes first step to discipline defiant Reddy brothers - Nov 25, 2011
- Reddy brothers' loyalist quits assembly, adds to BJP's woes - Sep 04, 2011
- Yeddyurappa will resign, says Karnataka BJP chief (Evening Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
- Reddy brothers abide by decision to dump Yeddyurappa - Jul 28, 2011
- BJP plans to reclaim Bellary from Reddy brothers - Nov 16, 2011
- Arrest Reddy kin to prevent evidence tampering: Congress - Sep 14, 2011
- BJP unites to defeat Reddy brothers in Bellary - Nov 17, 2011
- Winter of instability as Yeddyurappa gets bail (News Analysis) - Nov 08, 2011
- Ex-minister Sriramulu meets Janardhana Reddy in jail - Nov 08, 2011
- Reddy associate Sriramulu denies absconding fearing arrest - Sep 17, 2011
- BJP confident that Reddy arrest won't affect by-poll - Sep 14, 2011
- Rebellious Reddy brothers, Yeddyurappa supporters put BJP in fix - Nov 09, 2011
- With Bellary win, rebel Reddy brothers show BJP their clout - Dec 04, 2011
- CBI to quiz Reddy brothers over illegal mining - Sep 15, 2011
- Yeddyurappa finally told to quit, seeks time till July 31 (Intro Roundup) - Jul 29, 2011
Tags: assembly speaker, barons, berth, cabinet minister, chief minister, constituency, gowda, health minister, indictment, induction, lawmaker, new cabinet, ombudsman, resignation letter, ruling party, santosh, south india, state health, state legislature, tribes community