Karnataka shuts down to protest petrol price hikeMay 31st, 2012 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 31 (IANS) The shutdown against the petrol price hike Thursday paralysed life across Karnataka, as state-run and private buses remained off the roads, shops and hotels were closed, and schools and colleges declared a day’s holiday.
“Barring stray incidents of stone-pelting at buses and fracas over forcible closure of shops in Bangalore, Mysore, Mangalore and Hubli, the law and order is being maintained across the state under strict vigil with deployment of additional forces,” a senior police official told IANS here.
In the absence of public transport and taxis in Bangalore, attendance in offices was reported to be about 50 percent though the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led state government did not declare an official holiday for Thursday.
People had a tough time in buying groceries and vegetables as supplies did not reach markets and department stores remained shuttered.
Supply of milk was, however, not affected as it was exempted from the shutdown. Medical shops also remained open.
Though the state-run Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) assured the public that its buses would ply normally despite shutdown, these were withdrawn after a dozen vehicles were attacked by miscreants in some parts of the city.
Train services and flight services, however, remained unaffected.
- Shutdown hits India's tech hub partially (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Karnataka braces for Thursday shutdown - Sep 19, 2012
- Millions stranded in Karnataka as bus strike continues - Sep 14, 2012
- Karnataka shuts down over Yeddyurappa's prosecution - Jan 22, 2011
- Shutdown paralyses life in Karnataka (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown hits life in Karnataka - Sep 20, 2012
- Mixed response to shutdown call in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 31, 2012
- Karnataka shutdown over Yeddyurappa prosecution turns violent (Lead) - Jan 22, 2011
- Poor response in Bangalore to strike call - Sep 07, 2010
- Trade unions strike hits life across Karnataka - Feb 28, 2012
- Commercial establishments shut in Himachal - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown evokes mixed response in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- 15 BJP lawmakers held in Bangalore for forcing shutdown - Jul 05, 2010
- Strike over fuel price hike puts India on hold (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Telangana shutdown hits life in region (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, city train, department stores, dozen vehicles, flight services, fracas, groceries, law and order, mangalore, metropolitan transport, miscreants, paralysed, police official, price hike, private buses, stray incidents, strict vigil, train services, transport corporation