Karnataka ex-minister to undergo DNA test over rape chargeMay 27th, 2010 - 11:45 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 27 (IANA) Former Karnataka minister Haratalu Halappa, facing rape charge, will be subjected to a DNA test as his plea against it was rejected by the Karnataka High Court Thursday.
Halappa, who quit as food and civil supplies minister May 2 after he was accused by his friend’s wife of raping her, opposed the plan of Karnataka police to conduct a DNA test on him.
He had moved the high court against the order of a magistrate’s court in his home district Shimoga, about 270 km from, permitting the test.
Justice C.R. Kumaraswamy of the high court Thursday upheld the Shimoga magistrate’s order and dismissed Halappa’s appeal.
Halappa surrendered to Shimoga police May 9 and has been remanded in judicial custody till June 7.
But he has not stayed in jail and got himself admitted to a Shimoga hospital the same day complaining heart, blood sugar and vertigo problems.
At present he is in a government hospital in Bangalore. He has filed a petition in the high court seeking bail.
Chandravathi, wife of Venkatesha Murthy, a financier in Shimoga, has alleged that Halappa invited himself to dinner to their home in Shimoga Nov 26 last year, stayed back in the night and raped her after sending her husband out to get medicines.
Halappa has denied the charges.
- Rape-accused Karnataka ex-minister's blood test ordered - May 21, 2010
- Karnataka ex-minister to be shifted to Bangalore hospital - May 13, 2010
- Karnataka ex-minister jailed till May 15, still in hospital - May 10, 2010
- Arrested Karnataka ex-minister admitted to hospital (Lead) - May 10, 2010
- Rape accused Karnataka ex-minister gets bail - Jun 24, 2010
- Karnataka ex-minister facing rape charges eludes police - May 06, 2010
- Karnataka ex-minister arrested in rape case - May 09, 2010
- CID to probe Karnataka ex-minister for rape charges - May 03, 2010
- Sexual assault case filed against Karnataka ex-minister (Lead) - May 03, 2010
- Yeddyurappa: Clerk to chief minister to undertrial No.10462 - Oct 16, 2011
- Dark Diwali for Karnataka BJP politicos (Karnataka Newsletter) - Oct 19, 2011
- Ex-Karnataka minister Halappa's bail plea in court today - May 11, 2010
- BJP ministers watch porn in Karnataka assembly; face sack (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- Karnataka minister quits over sexual assault allegations - May 02, 2010
- BJP minister found watching porn in Karnataka assembly (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: blood sugar, civil supplies minister, dna test, financier, government hospital, heart blood, iana, judicial custody, karnataka high court, karnataka minister, kumaraswamy, magistrate, medicines, petition, plea, rape charge, shimoga, vertigo problems