Karnataka ex-minister to be shifted to Bangalore hospitalMay 13th, 2010 - 8:17 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, May 13 (IANS) Former Karnataka minister Haratalu Halappa, accused of raping his friend’s wife, will be shifted from his home district Shimoga to a hospital here for better treatment, police said.
Halappa has been in the government McGann hospital in Shimoga, about 270 km from here since May 8, within hours of his arrest on charges of raping Chandravathi, wife of his friend Venkatesh Murthy Nov 26-27, 2009.
Doctors at McGann hospital have recommended that the minister be shifted to Bangalore as he is suffering from heart ailment, asthma, hypertension and high blood sugar levels.
A court in Shimoga Thursday permitted moving Halappa to the state-run Victoria hospital in Bangalore, a Shimoga police spokesperson said.
Shimoga jail authorities said they may shift Halappa to Bangalore late Thursday or Friday morning.
Halappa resigned as food and civil supplies minister May 2 but surrendered to the Shimoga police on May 8, four days after criminal cases were filed against him on the basis of a complaint by Chandravathi.
He was sent to jail that day but soon after he complained of chest pain and was admitted to the McGann hospital. His judicial custody has been extended till May 24.
The Shimoga court directed the jail authorities to bring Halappa before it May 24.
Chandravathi has complained that Halappa raped her on the night of Nov 26-27, after inviting himself to her place for dinner and staying back for the night. Murthy said that late that night Halappa sent him out to get medicine saying he was not feeling well but when he returned he found Halappa semi-nude and his wife wailing.
Murthy said he caught the scene on his cell phone and released the clippings for media.
Halappa has denied the charges and claimed the clippings are morphed. He has said he suspected rivals within his Bharatiya Janata Party to be behind the campaign to tarnish his image.
- Karnataka ex-minister jailed till May 15, still in hospital - May 10, 2010
- Arrested Karnataka ex-minister admitted to hospital (Lead) - May 10, 2010
- Karnataka ex-minister to undergo DNA test over rape charge - May 27, 2010
- Sexual assault case filed against Karnataka ex-minister (Lead) - May 03, 2010
- Karnataka ex-minister facing rape charges eludes police - May 06, 2010
- Rape-accused Karnataka ex-minister's blood test ordered - May 21, 2010
- Rape accused Karnataka ex-minister gets bail - Jun 24, 2010
- Karnataka ex-minister arrested in rape case - May 09, 2010
- CID to probe Karnataka ex-minister for rape charges - May 03, 2010
- Ex-Karnataka minister Halappa's bail plea in court today - May 11, 2010
- BJP ministers watch porn in Karnataka assembly; face sack (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- BJP minister found watching porn in Karnataka assembly (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Yeddyurappa: Clerk to chief minister to undertrial No.10462 - Oct 16, 2011
- Dark Diwali for Karnataka BJP politicos (Karnataka Newsletter) - Oct 19, 2011
- Karnataka minister quits over sexual assault allegations - May 02, 2010
Tags: asthma, bharatiya janata party, blood sugar levels, chest pain, civil supplies minister, clippings, friday morning, heart ailment, high blood sugar, high blood sugar levels, hypertension, jail authorities, judicial custody, karnataka minister, may 24, murthy, police spokesperson, rivals, shimoga, victoria hospital