Karnataka CM-designate Shettar in land deal rowJuly 12th, 2012 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
Bangalore, July 11 (IANS) On the eve of taking over as Karnataka chief minister, Jagadish Shettar was Wednesday caught in an illegal land deal row and a complaint was lodged against him in a court here.
Shettar is accused of illegally freeing from government control 178 acres of land in Bangalore outskirts six years ago when he was revenue minister in the Janata Dal-Secular-Bharatiya Janata Party coalition government.
The deal for the land, which was part of 376 acre acquired by the government in Dasanapura to set up a market for farmers to sell their produce, caused a loss of around Rs.250 crore to the state at the present market rate, the complaint lodged in the Lokayukta (ombudsman) court said.
The complaint, filed by a Bangalore resident S.M. Chethan, who said he was a social activist, alleged that Shettar had violated rules to denotify (freeing from government control) 176 acres.
The complaint does not charge Shettar with benefiting monetarily or otherwise from illegal denotification. It only says the act caused huge loss to the state exchequer.
The Lokayukta court Judge N.K. Sudhindra Rao said he would consider July 21 whether a probe needs to be ordered into the charges.
Shettar joins the list of growing BJP ministers and legislators facing charges violating rules to denotify government lands to benefit the owners as market value of the land is much higher than the compensation the state offers.
BJP’s first chief minister B.S. Yeddyurappa heads the list of around 20 BJP ministers and legislators facing the denotification and corruption charges.
Shettar, 56, is to take oath Thursday as chief minister, succeeding D.V. Sadananda Gowda who was forced out of office because of dissidence in the ruling BJP.
- Land grab probe against one more Karnataka minister - Oct 24, 2011
- Now Karnataka industries minister under scanner for land scam - Oct 29, 2011
- Court summons Yeddyurappa in graft case (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Shettar is Karnataka CM, promises graft-free regime (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Summons for Yeddyurappa in graft case, jail for ex-minister (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
- Karnataka home minister faces probe over land order - Oct 20, 2011
- Yeddyurappa faces police probe in one more case - Nov 27, 2011
- Yeddyurappa faces probe in one more land deal case - Aug 10, 2012
- Shettar is Karnataka CM, promises graft-free regime (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2012
- Yeddyurappa charge sheeted in land case - May 21, 2012
- Court summons ex-chief minister Kumaraswamy, wife - Aug 08, 2011
- Land scam probe against another Karnataka minister - Nov 22, 2011
- Karnataka minister faces land grab probe, won't quit - Oct 21, 2011
- Yeddyurappa may be back in jail Tuesday, seeks bail - Oct 17, 2011
- Court extends Yeddyurappa's jail stay till Nov 3 - Oct 22, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, chethan, chief minister, corruption charges, court judge, crore, dissidence, government control, government lands, gowda, legislators, monetarily, ombudsman, outskirts, party coalition government, rao, revenue minister, rs 250, social activist, state exchequer