Karnataka BJP MLA Somasekhara Reddy held in cash-for-bail deal (Lead)August 6th, 2012 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad/Bangalore, Aug 6 (IANS) Karnataka BJP legislator G. Somasekhara Reddy was Monday arrested in Hyderabad in a cash-for-bail deal, a scam involving huge payment to get bail for his jailed mining baron brother and former Karnataka minister G. Janardhana Reddy.
Somasekhara was arrested by the Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) of Andhra Pradesh in Hyderabad after questioning him for the fourth consecutive day.
Somasekhara becomes the second of the three Reddy brothers, who a year ago were dictating terms to the scandal-ridden ruling BJP in Karnataka, to go behind bars.
Janardhana Reddy has been in prison since Sep 5 last year, first in Hyderabad’s Chanchalaguda jail and now in Bangalore’s Parappana Agrahara jail. He is facing illegal mining cases both in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
Janardhana’s jail stay has been extended till Sep 7 by the court trying him in the illegal mining case in Karnataka.
Somasekhara, member of the Karnataka assembly from Bellary urban constituency, is the 11th accused and the second Karnataka legislator arrested in the case.
The ACB on July 31 had arrested T.H. Suresh Babu, also BJP legislator who represents Kampli constituency in Bellary district that borders Andhra Pradesh and is about 300 km north of Bangalore.
Somasekhara, the second accused in the case, along with Suresh Babu and Dasaradharami Reddy, had allegedly bribed CBI judge T. Pattabhirama Rao for granting bail to Janardhana Reddy in an illegal mining case.
Pattabhirama Rao, his son Ravichandra, retired judge T.V. Chalapathi Rao, history sheeter Yadgiri Rao and junior lawyer Aditya were all in jail.
Pattabhirama Rao in May this year had granted bail to the mining baron for Rs.10 crore. The bail was later cancelled by the Andhra Pradesh High Court.
In another related case, the ACB had arrested the chief judge of city small causes court K. Lakshmi Narasimha Rao, district and sessions judge D. Prabhakar Rao and realtor Ravi Surya Prakash Babu for trying to bribe Pattabhi Rama Rao on behalf of Janardhana Reddy’s family.
Pattabhirama Rao had rejected the offer but later accepted the one which came through his friend Chalapathi Rao.
Narasimha Rao, during the questioning by ACB officials, has reportedly claimed that Janardhana Reddy’s relatives were ready to pay even Rs.100 crore for his bail.
- Karnataka MLA Somasekhara Reddy held in cash-for-bail scam - Aug 06, 2012
- Two Karnataka legislators summoned in Andhra cash-for-bail scam - Jul 24, 2012
- Andhra ACB files charge sheet in cash-for-bail case - Aug 13, 2012
- Mining baron Reddy's kin arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jul 22, 2012
- Former Karnataka minister Sriramulu appears before Anti-Corruption Bureau - Aug 21, 2012
- 'Janardhana Reddy wanted bail at any cost' - Jul 23, 2012
- Ex-judge, suspended judge's son arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jun 16, 2012
- Cash-for-bail: Suspended judge, seven others booked - Jun 09, 2012
- Two more judges sent to jail in cash-for-bail scam - Jul 12, 2012
- Ex-Karnataka minister Janardhana Reddy's bail cancelled - Jun 13, 2012
- Names of two more judges surface in cash-for-bail scam - Jul 11, 2012
- Suspended judge sent to police custody in bribery scam - Jun 29, 2012
- Mediator received Rs.9.5 crore to arrange bail for Reddy - Jul 03, 2012
- Andhra CBI judge arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jun 19, 2012
- Stage set for arrest of suspended Andhra CBI judge - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: acb, andhra pradesh high court, bangalore, bjp mla, borders, brother, cbi, chief judge, constituency, corruption bureau, karnataka minister, lakshmi narasimha, lawyer, legislator, narasimha rao, prabhakar rao, realtor, scandal, sessions, suresh