Karnataka BJP legislator gets bail in bribery caseJune 5th, 2012 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, June 5 (IANS) The Karnataka High Court Tuesday granted conditional bail to ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) legislator Y. Sampangi and also suspended his conviction of three years and six months rigorous imprisonment given by a trial court in a bribery case.
Admitting Sampangi’s bail petition, Justice V. Jagannathan ordered him to pay a surety of Rs.100,000 for his release. The court asked him not to leave the country without its permission. He is lodged in the central jail.
“We have appealed to the high court for our client’s bail and suspension of his sentence under section 389 of the Criminal Procedure Code. The court felt that we had substantial grounds to seek the bail and suspension of the conviction,” counsel Sandeep Patil told reporters.
Lokayukta (ombudsman) special court judge N.K. Sudhindra Rao Saturday found Sampangi guilty of violating section 13 (1) of the Prevention of Corruption Act by accepting Rs.500,000 (Rs.5 lakh) Jan 29, 2009 from a businessman over a land dispute at the legislators’ home behind the state secretariat in central Bangalore.
The first-time lawmaker from Kolar Gold Fields assembly segment, about 100 km from here, is also the first legislator in the state to have been trapped by the ombudsman in a bribery case.
Sampangi’s counsel also filed an interim application in the high court Tuesday challenging the trial court’s judgement, including the conviction and the sentence.
The court has posted the case for next hearing to June 18.
- Karnataka legislator jailed in bribery case - Jun 02, 2012
- Karnataka BJP legislator jailed in bribery case (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- BJP Karnataka lawmaker jailed, trial court cancels bail - Oct 28, 2011
- Court quashes cases against Kumaraswamy, wife - Oct 21, 2011
- Yeddyurappa gets bail in one case - Nov 03, 2011
- No bail for former BJP minister in Karnataka - Aug 23, 2011
- Another Yeddyurappa bail plea hearing adjourned - Aug 30, 2011
- Yeddyurappa gets anticipatory bail in land scam case - Jan 17, 2012
- Court rejects Yeddyurappa plea to quash corruption cases - Jan 31, 2012
- Karnataka's new minister gets bail in land grab case - Jul 18, 2012
- Yeddyurappa, kin get anticipatory bail in bribery case (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Ahead of Advani's arrival, Karnataka BJP problems mount - Oct 28, 2011
- Kumaraswamy, wife told to appear in court Sep 7 - Sep 05, 2011
- Yeddyurappa gets bail after 21 days in jail - Nov 08, 2011
- Yeddyurappa to appear in court as bail plea rejected - Aug 29, 2011
Tags: bribery case, central jail, court judge, jagannathan, jan 29, judgement, karnataka high court, kolar gold fields, land dispute, lawmaker, legislator, ombudsman, prevention of corruption act, rao, rigorous imprisonment, sandeep patil, section 13, state secretariat, surety, trial court