Karat hails breach of ‘caste wall’ in Tamil NaduMay 7th, 2008 - 11:02 pm ICT by admin
Madurai (Tamil Nadu), May 7 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) general secretary Prakash Karat Wednesday congratulated the Tamil Nadu government for demolishing part of a village wall that segregated residences of Dalits and upper caste Hindus. Karat addressed a public rally in Uthapuram village, 400 km from here, where a 20-year-old wall was partly demolished by district officials Tuesday to help Dalits gain access to basic amenities like primary health care and bus routes.
“Our constitution has made it clear that the practice of untouchability is evil. Yet a few practise it. The Tamil Nadu government deserves generous praise for its effort to remove this blot from the society,” Karat said.
The village, dominated by a mixture of upper caste Hindu Pillais and Thevars, figured prominently in the news last week after a local daily reported about the wall.
The village was tense after the demolition Tuesday following opposition charges that the state police apparatus in the area had an anti-upper caste disposition.
But District Collector S.S. Jawahar had termed the charges as “baseless”.
- Upper castes fear Dalits' attack after breach in wall - May 08, 2008
- Tamil Nadu village wall causes new tension - May 06, 2008
- Tension in Tamil Nadu village over wall demolition (Lead) - May 07, 2008
- Brinda Karat released after brief 'detention' - Sep 12, 2009
- Southern Tamil Nadu tense again following statue desecration - May 09, 2008
- 116 arrested to quell unrest in Tamil Nadu village - Oct 02, 2008
- Online campaign against 'untouchability' in Rajasthan - Jul 12, 2012
- Online campaign against 'untouchability' in Rajasthan (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- CPI (M) politburo member Brinda Karat arrested in Tamil Nadu - Sep 12, 2009
- Tamil Nadu Dalit leader alleges police engineered attack - Nov 03, 2008
- Caste consciousness reigns supreme in India: Gandhy (Lead) - Jul 16, 2011
- Maoist ideologue Kobad Gandhy speaks from Tihar - Jul 16, 2011
- Chidambaram in dock for poll result, opposition demands resignation (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- 138 illegal structures demolished in north Delhi - Nov 25, 2010
- DMK seals one more deal - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: bus routes, caste hindus, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, demolition, district officials, general secretary, generous praise, hindu, jawahar, news last week, practise, prakash karat, primary health care, public rally, state police, tamil nadu government, untouchability, upper caste