Karadzic denies genocide charges in BosniaJune 12th, 2012 - 5:38 am ICT by IANS
The Hague, June 12 (IANS/AKI) Wartime Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic has denied that forces under his command committed genocide in Bosnia. He demanded an acquittal, claiming prosecutors had failed to prove his guilt.
“There are none of my fingerprints on any crimes,” Karadzic told the UN’s International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia.
Karadzic, who was arrested in Belgrade in 2008 after 13 years in hiding has been charged on 11 counts of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.
“Wherever I was involved… it was for humanitarian reasons and to ease the suffering of civilians, regardless of nationality,” he said.
The charges against him centre on a massacre of up to 8,000 Muslim men in the eastern town of Srebrenica in 1996 and the 44-month siege and shelling of the capital Sarajevo which killed over 12,000 people.
“The prosecution hasn’t proven my responsibility for the events in Srebrenica, nor that it was genocide,” Karadzic told the court.
“It’s up to the prosecution to prove who did the killings and for what motives,” he said.
He conceded that there had been killings “on personal basis and for revenge”, but denied that Bosnian Serbs were a part of a “joint criminal enterprise” aimed at ethnically cleansing the territory under their command.
He said people frequently moved from one territory to another during Bosnia’s 1992-1995 war to escape fighting areas, but no one denied them the right to return.
Karadzic said the prosecution “hasn’t proven the number of victims which is being used in public”.
He said the number of victims was a part of “Muslim propaganda” to which the “prosecution succumbed” and a “part of game which is bringing misery to people there and lays ground for future enmities”.
The prosecution ended presentation of its evidence last month and Karadzic was scheduled to start presenting his evidence in October.
The tribunal was expected to rule on Karadzic’s acquittal demand at a later date. It could clear him of some or all charges, or accept the prosecution’s arguments and order the trial to proceed with defence evidence.
Karadzic denied that Sarajevo was under siege and that Serb forces shelled the city at random in order to terrorize civilian population.
“What could have been a motive for terrorizing Sarajevo when at the time between 50,000 and 70,000 Serbs lived there, who were barred from leaving?” he asked.
He said some 80,000 Muslim soldiers mingled with the civilian population in Sarajevo, threatening Serb positions and there was exchange of fire on both sides.
- Bosnian Serb leader's trial set to resume - Sep 04, 2010
- Two Serbian policemen jailed for 31 years for genocide - Apr 23, 2010
- 'Humanitarian convoys smuggled weapons in Bosnia war' - May 11, 2010
- Bosnia war witness says paramilitary raped Muslims - Sep 07, 2012
- Bosnia war could have been avoided: Karadzic - Dec 29, 2009
- Seven Bosnian Serbs convicted for Srebrenica massacre (Lead) - Jun 10, 2010
- 'Karadzic regretted that some Bosnian Muslims escaped genocide' - Nov 03, 2009
- Ratko Mladic transferred from prison hospital to cell - Jun 06, 2011
- UN court convicts seven Bosnian Serbs over Srebrenica massacre - Jun 10, 2010
- 100 skeletons found in lake bordering Serbia, Bosnia - Oct 27, 2010
- Karadzic wanted Bosnian Muslims wiped off from the 'face of the earth' - Oct 28, 2009
- Clashes erupt in Serbia protest against Mladic arrest - May 30, 2011
- Serbia war crimes suspect Mladic may have been held - May 26, 2011
- `US tried to assassinate me: Karadzic to UN court - Aug 01, 2008
- Karadzic declines to enter plea at war crimes tribunal - Aug 29, 2008
Tags: acquittal, belgrade, crimes against humanity, criminal enterprise, enmities, fingerprints, genocide charges, genocide in bosnia, humanitarian reasons, international criminal tribunal, international criminal tribunal for the former yugoslav, killings, muslim men, personal basis, prosecution, radovan karadzic, sarajevo, serbs, srebrenica, war crimes