Kanimozhi in poll mode, hits out at ‘communal’ forcesJune 15th, 2008 - 10:33 pm ICT by IANS
Cuddalore (Tamil Nadu), June 15 (IANS) Rajya Sabha member M.K. Kanimozhi Sunday said communal forces are the biggest enemy of women’s rights. The daughter of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi was speaking on the second day of the two-day DMK women’s conference here. She said if communal politics was allowed to emerge victorious, the first victim would be women’s rights. “Communalism will extinguish women’s rights.”
Saying that the Sethusamudram Shipping Canal project was a victim of communal politics, Kanimozhi said, “The Sethu project is being opposed in the name of religion, on communal lines”.
“The Sethu canal can be renamed and called the Sethuram canal project,” she said.
Responding to Karunanidhi’s critics, who have opposed his suggestion to call the Sethu canal as Ram-Sethu Canal, Kanimozhi said, “Karunanidhi is only concerned about the development of Tamil Nadu.”
“If Dravidian leaders had to smear ash on their foreheads to get the Sethu canal project operational, they would gladly do so even if this was against Dravidian ideology,” she said.
In her speech, Kanimozhi also noted that Hindutva forces “are re-grouping in the state” and reiterated that the chief minister “was fighting a battle against such evil forces” inspired by Ambedkar, Narayana Guru and others.
“We all witnessed the ugly face of Hindutva in Gujarat,” Kanimozhi said, recalling how AIADMK leader J. Jayalalitha had hosted Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi “who was behind all the chaos”.
“Tamil Nadu will become another Gujarat,” Kanimozhi warned, if Jayalalitha was re-elected to rule the state.
“She gave a red carpet welcome to Modi during his visit to Chennai…and the days of Tamil Nadu being turned into a Gujarat are not distant if Jayalalitha is allowed to come back to power,” Kanimozhi said.
- DMK silent on cabinet representation, alliance (Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Tie-up with Congress stays but no new ministers: DMK (Fourth Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
- Tie-up with Congress stays but no new ministers: DMK (Third Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- DMK meet ends; silence on cabinet slots, Congress tie-up (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- SC gives more time to centre on Palk Strait channel - Sep 03, 2012
- Complete Sethusamudram project at earliest: DMK - Mar 29, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen's status; Jayalaithaa demands they be sent home (Third Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Sri Lankan airmen shifted to Bangalore? Send them home, Jayalalitha demands (Fourth Lead, superseding previous story) - Jul 07, 2012
- Kanimozhi: Multi-faceted person neck deep in mega scam - May 20, 2011
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- DMK opposed to Goods and Service Tax: Karunanidhi - Aug 24, 2010
- Centre shies from naming Rama Sethu a national monument - Apr 19, 2012
- Introspect, don't blame others, Jayalalithaa to Karunanidhi - May 01, 2011
- DMK welcomes India's vote against Sri Lanka - Mar 22, 2012
- I am unlikely to be new IT minister: Kanimozhi - Nov 15, 2010
Tags: canal project, chief minister, communal forces, communal lines, evil forces, first victim, foreheads, gujarat, hindutva forces, jayalalitha, m karunanidhi, narayana guru, narendra modi, rajya sabha member, ram sethu, red carpet, sethu project, shipping canal, tamil nadu, ugly face