Kanda’s police custody extended by three daysAugust 25th, 2012 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 25 (IANS) A Delhi court Saturday extended by three days the police custody of Haryana’s former minister Gopal Goyal Kanda, accused of abetting the suicide of his employee and former flight attendant Geetika Sharma.
Metropolitan Magistrate Devender Kumar Jangala sent Kanda to three days’ police custody for questioning.
Police sought an extension of Kanda’s custody to recover his three mobile phones through which he called and sent text messages to Geetika. They also want to seize the official phone that the victim returned after she quit Kanda’s group.
The investigators said that all the four phones were required to get details of calls and text messages, recover a computer hard disk, get information on Kanda’s visit to Dubai and details of some employee working in the former minister’s company.
Police told the court that a probe into Kanda’s Dubai visit was also required as at that time Geetika was working there in another airlines.
Police said that financial transactions of Kanda’s educational society, where Geetika was working, were also needed to be investigated.
The initial payment made to create the society was released from the account of Geetika, police said.
Kanda’s counsel opposed the police plea for an extension in his custody for questioning.
The former minister was arrested Aug 18.
Geetika, 23, who earlier worked in Kanda’s now-defunct MDLR Airlines, died on the night of Aug 4-5 at her house in Delhi’s Ashok Vihar area.
Her two suicide notes named Kanda and his employee Aruna Chaddha for harassing her and driving her to suicide. Both have denied the allegations. Chaddha is in judicial custody.
After Kanda’s airlines ceased to function in 2009, Geetika was given another assignment in the group owned by him.
Kanda, who was forced to resign as minister of state for home and urban local bodies in Haryana in the face of public outcry over Geetika’s suicide, was booked for abetment to suicide by Delhi Police.
- Kanda's police custody extended by three days (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Police to question Chaddha for three more days (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Court again rejects cops' plea seeking Chaddha's custody - Aug 21, 2012
- Chaddha's police custody extended by three days - Aug 13, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Kanda (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Kanda - Aug 16, 2012
- Aruna Chaddha moves bail application - Aug 31, 2012
- Kanda sent to judicial custody (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Suicide notes written on day of Geetika's death: Police - Aug 24, 2012
- Kanda sent to 7 days police custody (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Kanda's anticipatory bail plea decision Friday - Aug 16, 2012
- Chaddha's judicial custody extended till Sep 11 - Aug 30, 2012
- Court again rejects cops' plea for Chaddha's custody (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Kanda close to being nailed in Geetika suicide: Police - Aug 24, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Kanda evades reply to 7 key questions - Aug 19, 2012
Tags: ashok, company police, delhi court, dubai, educational society, financial transactions, flight attendant, haryana, initial payment, judicial custody, kanda, magistrate, mdlr airlines, minister of state, New Delhi, plea, police custody, public outcry, text messages, three mobile phones