Kanda let off in cheque-bounce caseAugust 27th, 2012 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 27 (IANS) A Delhi court Monday let off Haryana’s former minister Gopal Goyal Kanda, an accused in Geetika Sharma’s suicide, and his brother in a 1998 cheque-bounce case.
Metropolitan Magistrate Vikrant Vaid acquitted Gopal Goyal Kanda and his brother Govind Kanda after they settled the dispute with the complainant.
Two cheques issued by the former minister’s company, Kanda Polymers, to Delhi-based complainant company Indo Polycoats Pvt Ltd were dishonoured in July 1998. One cheque was for Rs.2 lakh and the other for Rs.2.10 lakh.
The complainant’s counsel Dharmendra Priani told the court that all the disputes had been settled between the parties and nothing remained outstanding and moved an application for withdrawal of the case.
Kanda brothers’ counsel Somesh Arora said the matter had been settled between the parties and requested the court to acquit his clients.
The complainant, who manufactured PVC coated fabrics and vinyl flooring, had supplied some material to Govind Kanda. The two cheques for payment of the material were issued by Gopal Goyal Kanda. The cheques were dishonoured.
The court earlier issued warrant against the Kanda brothers for failure to appear before it. The process for attachment of their property was also initiated.
The former Haryana minister is in police custody in connection with abetting the suicide of his employee and former flight attendant Geetika Sharma.
Geetika, 23, who earlier worked in Gopal Goyal Kanda’s now-defunct MDLR Airlines, died on the night of Aug 4-5 at her house in north Delhi’s Ashok Vihar area.
Her two suicide notes named the former minister and his employee Aruna Chaddha for harassing her and driving her to suicide. Both have denied the allegations. Chaddha is in judicial custody.
- Kanda's brother gets bail in dud cheque case (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Bail of Kanda's brother extended in dud cheque case - Sep 21, 2012
- Fresh case registered against Gopal Kanda - Sep 06, 2012
- Kanda's brother gets bail in dud cheque case - Sep 10, 2012
- Court again rejects cops' plea seeking Chaddha's custody - Aug 21, 2012
- Court notice to Gopal Kanda, brother in assault case - Aug 09, 2012
- Apex court notice to Kanda, brother in assault case (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Chaddha to be questioned for another day - Aug 11, 2012
- Court denies Kanda shield against arrest (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Court denies anticipatory bail to Kanda (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Kanda's police custody extended by three days (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Geetika case politically motivated, Kanda tells court (Second Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Hearing on Aruna Chaddha's bail plea deferred - Sep 05, 2012
- Court denies anticipatory bail to Kanda (Second lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Court rejects Aruna Chaddha's bail plea - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: arora, ashok, cheques, coated fabrics, complainant, delhi court, dharmendra, flight attendant, goyal, haryana minister, judicial custody, lakh, magistrate, mdlr airlines, north delhi, police custody, pvt ltd, rs 2, somesh, vinyl flooring