‘Kalyan Singh did what he did’ on Babri razing: PMApril 19th, 2009 - 1:29 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, April 19 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Sunday rejected Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) supremo Lalu Prasad’s charge that the Congress too was to blame for Babri Masjid, saying the party “can’t be blamed” for the 1992 mosque demolition.
“We can’t be blamed,” the prime minister told a press conference in Amin Gaon in Guwahati ahead of addressing a poll rally.
He also said that the then Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) chief minister of Uttar Pradesh Kalyan Singh “did what he did” despite his affidavit to the apex court that he will protect the 16th century disputed structure.
“The BJP chief minister Kalyan Singh had then assured the Supreme Court that Babri Masjid would be safe, and the Congress had every reason to believe him,” Manmohan Singh said.
Lalu Prasad, the railways minister, had said in Bihar that the Congress was also to blame for the demolition as it did nothing to prevent it, despite being in power at the centre then.
Manmohan Singh also signalled an end to his slugfest with BJP’s prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani who has repeatedly called him a “weak prime minister”, saying: “I don’t want to prolong the match and the dialogue.”
- No link between Ayodhya verdict, Babri demolition: BJP - Oct 05, 2010
- Supreme Court issues notice to Advani and others in Babri Masjid demolition case - Mar 04, 2011
- PM talks peace with Advani, but has 'no regrets' for barbs (Roundup) - Apr 19, 2009
- Congress book blames Sangh parivar for Babri demolition, defends Rao - Dec 30, 2010
- Kalyan Singh says BJP kept him in dark about Babri demolition - May 02, 2009
- Absurd to suggest Narasimha Rao was indifferent to Babri razing: Naresh Chandra - Jul 11, 2012
- Congress hurt by Lalu's remarks on Babri demolition: Sibal - Apr 18, 2009
- Someone must be responsible for Babri mosque demolition, says Chidambaram - Dec 08, 2009
- Ayodhya case: Advani, others oppose CBI plea (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Mulayam Singh apologies to Muslim community - Jul 15, 2010
- Factsheet: Timeline of the Ayodhya Dispute - May 09, 2011
- Congress also to blame for Babri razing: Lalu Prasad (Lead) - Apr 18, 2009
- Mosque demolition: CBI challenges Advani clean-chit (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- BJP dismisses Liberhan report; Congress blames RSS (Roundup) - Dec 08, 2009
- Pranab files nomination for presidential election - Jun 28, 2012
Tags: 16th century, affidavit, amin, apex court, bharatiya janata party, bihar, chief minister, gaon, kalyan singh, l k advani, manmohan, manmohan singh, masjid, mosque, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, prime ministerial candidate, railways, slugfest, uttar pradesh