Kalam’s name adds mischief to presidential poll: KarunanidhiJune 15th, 2012 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 15 (IANS) Maintaining that the DMK would support the Congress-backed candidate for the president’s post, its chief M. Karunanidhi Friday said the suggestion of A.P.J. Abdul Kalam’s name for the top job had added “mischief” to the election process.
Responding to a reporter’s query on Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee’s suggestion of Kalam as the presidential candidate, Karunanidhi said: “In Tamil, Kalam also means mischief. Somehow there is mischief in the presidential elections.”
With this, Karunanidhi has ruled out DMK’s support for Kalam’s candidature.
Queried further on the party’s stand in the presidential elections, he said: “We are firm on our earlier stand.”
The presidential election is scheduled to be held July 19.
Karunanidhi said Congress president Sonia Gandhi, through Defence Minister A.K. Antony, had informed him about her choice for the president’s post and he had extended his support to that proposal. “The DMK will not back out of that assurance.”
When asked about the electoral setback suffered by the Congress in the recent assembly elections and by-elections in Andhra Pradesh, and whether these losses would echo in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, Karunanidhi said: “Victory cannot echo losses.”
- DMK does not expect more ministerial berths: Karunanidhi (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Congress MP mocks Mamata over Kalam's backout - Jun 18, 2012
- Left intellectual questions call for consensus on Pranab - Jun 20, 2012
- Trinamool calls Mulayam a 'traitor', hopes for consensus on Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- Mukherjee will now win by bigger margin, says Congress - Jul 17, 2012
- Kalam's candidature a closed chapter: Mulayam - Jun 18, 2012
- DMK to support Congress choice for president: Karunanidhi - Jun 15, 2012
- Mamata, Karunanidhi to skip UPA dinner - May 22, 2012
- Congress slams BJP, asks others to revisit stand on Pranab - Jun 22, 2012
- Game is not over yet: Mamata - Jun 15, 2012
- We can't spare Manmohan Singh, says Congress (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- BJP rules out backing Mukherjee in presidential polls - Apr 30, 2012
- Presidential poll divides left, right, centre - Jul 10, 2012
- BJP, AIADMK to coordinate on presidential poll: Advani (Second Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Am ready to talk to Mamata if she is ready: Pranab - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, antony, assembly elections, chennai, congress president sonia gandhi, defence minister, dmk, lok sabha elections, losses, m karunanidhi, mamata banerjee, mischief, presidential candidate, presidential election, presidential elections, presidential poll, proposal, setback, top job, trinamool congress chief