Kalam the best candidate for president: MamataJune 14th, 2012 - 8:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 14 (IANS) Former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam is the Trinamool Congress’ first choice and the “best candidate” for president, party chief Mamata Banerjee announced Thursday.
“Kalam is the best candidate possible, he is our first choice. We had asked for a consensus candidate, that’s why we gave so many names,” Banerjee told reporters here.
“We want consensus on Kalam,” she added.
Banerjee also said that she will not go back on the names she and Samajwadi Party supreme Mulayam Singh Yadav had proposed Wednesday.
The two leaders had proposed the names of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Abdul Kalam and former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee.
She also dared the Congress to sever links with her party, saying while the Trinamool had not severed ties with the United Progressive Alliance, the Congress was free to break with her party.
- Mamata to skip UPA meet, dares Congress to snap ties (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Manmohan, Kalam or Somnath for president: SP, Trinamool (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Mamata sends 'advance congratulations' to Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
- We have not rejected any name: Samajwadi Party - Jun 14, 2012
- Kalam should not contest presidential poll: Somnath - Jun 16, 2012
- Had no other option but support Pranab: SP - Jun 16, 2012
- Manmohan, Kalam or Somnath for president: SP, Trinamool - Jun 13, 2012
- Contest imminent if Congress goes ahead with Pranab: Trinamool - Jun 14, 2012
- Didn't behove of Mamata to suggest Manmohan's name: Congress - Jun 14, 2012
- Sonia has hectic day over presidential poll talks (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- We can't spare Manmohan Singh, says Congress (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Mamata plays pivotal role in presidential talk (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Kalam hails Mamata's leadership qualities, honesty - Jun 19, 2012
- Didn't behove of Mamata to suggest Manmohan's name: Soni (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Trinamool calls Mulayam a 'traitor', hopes for consensus on Kalam - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: abdul kalam, consensus, first choice, former president, june 14, Lok Sabha, mamata banerjee, manmohan, manmohan singh, many names, mulayam singh yadav, New Delhi, party chief, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, Samajwadi Party, somnath, ties, trinamool congress