Kalam congratulates MukherjeeJuly 23rd, 2012 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 23 (IANS) Former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Monday congratulated Pranab Mukherjee on being elected the country’s 13th president and wished him luck “to steer the nation to greater heights”.
In a letter to the president-elect, Kalam said: “Please accept my hearty congratulation on your election as the 13th President of India. I wish you all the best to steer the nation to greater heights.”
Mukherjee will take oath Wednesday before assuming the office of president of India and moving into Rashtrapati Bhavan.
The president-elect has held key ministerial portfolios of finance, defence and external affairs in an eventful four-decade political career.
Kalam was the president from July 25, 2002, to July 25, 2007.
Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee pushed the name of Kalam for a second term in the high office till the former president himself decided to stay out of the contest.
- Mamata telephones Pranab to congratulate him, to attend swearing-in - Jul 22, 2012
- India has got a very able president: Somnath - Jul 22, 2012
- Presidents of India - Jul 22, 2012
- PM, Sonia to visit Pranab residence to congratulate him - Jul 22, 2012
- Tamil Nadu governor congratulates Pranab - Jul 22, 2012
- President-elect Pranab refuses comment on Guru clemency - Jul 23, 2012
- Maharashtra leaders congratulate Pranab - Jul 23, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee is India's 13th president - Jul 25, 2012
- Patil to host dinner for Pranab, ministers Tuesday - Jul 23, 2012
- Kalam's candidature a closed chapter: Mulayam - Jun 18, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee sworn in as India's 13th president (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee is India's next president (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Mulayam remains mum as Samajwadi Party keeps everyone guessing - Jun 15, 2012
- Pranab says he likes Rashtrapati Bhavan lawns! - May 25, 2012
- Kalam hails Mamata's leadership qualities, honesty - Jun 19, 2012
Tags: 13th president, abdul kalam, congratulation, congress, decade, external affairs, finance, former president, letter to the president, mamata banerjee, ministerial portfolios, New Delhi, political career, pranab mukherjee, president elect, president of india, rashtrapati bhavan, second term