Kalaignar TV destroyed documents: JayalalithaaFebruary 20th, 2011 - 10:45 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Feb 20 (IANS) AIADMK general secretary J. Jayalalithaa Sunday alleged that crucial documents at Kalaignar TV, promoted by the family of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi, were destroyed prior to the Friday raid by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).”When the CBI disclosed in court the details about a Rs.206 crore payoff by the Dynamix Balwa Group, which has close links to the much-wanted terrorist Dawood Ibrahim, to Kalaignar TV, in which Karunanidhi’s second wife Dayalu and Kanimozhi, his daughter by his third wife hold 80 percent shares, they were making a major mistake,” she said in a statement.
She said the CBI ought to have raided Kalaignar TV and secured all the records before making their suspicions public. By following the practices set for normal criminals, they gave enough time to work out escape strategies.
Jayalalithaa alleged: “Overnight, a high-level meeting reportedly took place at Anna Arivalayam, the headquarters of the DMK party, which also houses the office and studios of Kalaignar TV.”
She added the meeting was attended by Karunanidhi, his son M.K.Stalin, daughter Kanimozhi, MP T.R. Baalu, chief executive officer of the company Sharad Kumar Reddy, Advocate General P.S. Raman and others.
She alleged that all critical documents and bills were burnt and shredded without leaving any evidence, following which Kumar issued a statement inviting CBI and Income Tax authorities to inspect their books of accounts.
The channel was raided in connection with the 2G spectrum allocation scam, with the CBI alleging a connection between Dynamix Balwa Group/Swan Telecom’s Shahid Balwa and Kalaignar TV.
Seeking further remand of Balwa, the CBI had claimed before the court that Balwa was favoured by former union communications minister A. Raja in the allocation of spectrum.
- Kalaignar TV says Cineyug loan not linked to 2G spectrum - Feb 11, 2011
- CBI raids Kalaignar TV office (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- CBI questions Kanimozhi, Karunanidhi's wife in 2G scam (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- 2G scam: Kusegoan officials question CBI charges (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Charge sheet entire Karunanidhi family, says Jayalalithaa - Apr 25, 2011
- Kanimozhi active brain behind 2G scam: CBI tells court (Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Arrest Kanimozhi, cancel Kalaignar TV's license: Jayalalithaa - Apr 25, 2011
- CBI to question Kanimozhi before March 31 (Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- CBI is welcome to inspect books, says Kalaignar TV - Feb 16, 2011
- CBI questions Karunanidhi's wife, daughter in 2G scam (Third Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Kalaignar TV now fights to clear its name - Apr 25, 2011
- CBI quizzes Kanimozhi, Dayalu Ammal on 2G spectrum scam (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- 2G scam: Kanimozhi questioned by CBI, Dayalu Ammal in line - Mar 11, 2011
- I will not let down Maran brothers: Karunanidhi - Oct 11, 2011
- Now, Karunanidhi's daughter co-accused in 2G spectrum case (Roundup) - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: advocate general, aiadmk, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chief executive officer, chief minister, critical documents, dmk party, dynamix, general secretary, income tax authorities, j jayalalithaa, m karunanidhi, raman, remand, second wife, shahid, spectrum allocation, tamil nadu, union communications