Kakodkar chosen for Maharashtra Bhushan AwardApril 26th, 2012 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 26 (IANS) Eminent nuclear scientist Anil Kakodkar will be conferred this year’s Maharashtra Bhushan Award for his contribution in making India a major global atomic power, an official said here Thursday.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan made the announcement here after a selection committee headed by him arrived at the decision on the state’s top award being given to Kakodkar, a former head of the Atomic Energy Commission, for the year 2011-12.
Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar then telephoned Kakodkar to congratulate him and lauded his contribution in making India a major nuclear power in the world.
Born on Nov. 11, 1943 in Barwani in what is now Madhya Pradesh, Kakodkar has also been honoured with India’s top civilian awards, Padmashri (1998), Padma Bhushan (1999), and Padma Vibhushan (2009).
He was part of the team of scientists which conducted India’s peaceful nuclear tests in 1974 and 1998, besides authoring over 250 scientific papers.
The Maharashtra Bhushan Award is given to outstanding people from Maharashtra who have excelled in various fields like literature, arts, sports, society, business, science, health, etc.
Some of the past awardees include: Lata Mangeshkar, Bhimsen Joshi (both later conferred with Bharat Ratna), Sachin Tendulkar, Pandit Bhimsen Joshi, Sunil Gavaskar, Sunil Bhatkar, Ratan Tata, R. Mhashelkar, Baba Amte, Abhay and Rani Bang, R. K. Patil, Mangesh Padgaonkar, Nanasaheb Dharmadhikari, Jayant Narlikar and actress Sulochana.
- Scientist Narlikar named for Maharashtra state award - Mar 07, 2011
- Goa wants 'nuke-guru' Anil Kakodkar as president - Apr 28, 2012
- Nuclear power as safe as air travel: Kakodkar - Sep 04, 2012
- Bharat Ratna Bhimsen Joshi passes away - Jan 24, 2011
- Mario Miranda, Bhupen Hazarika in Padma honours list (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Shrinivas Joshi- The next Pt. Bhimsen Joshi in the making - Nov 10, 2009
- Nuke scientist is Kashmir varsity chancellor - Aug 13, 2012
- Brajesh Mishra, Montek amongst 128 Padma awardees - Jan 25, 2011
- Nuclear scientist P.K. Iyengar dead (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Brajesh Mishra, Azim Premji, Montek in list of 128 Padma awardees (Intro Roundup) - Jan 25, 2011
- Baba Amte's widow dies - Jul 09, 2011
- Karnataka institutes award in memory of Bhimsen Joshi - Feb 25, 2011
- Veteran Marathi music composer Khale dead - Sep 02, 2011
- Atomic Energy Commission chief Kakodkar to retire Nov 30 - Oct 30, 2009
- Lucknow University to confer degree on eminent nuclear scientist - Dec 31, 2009
Tags: ajit pawar, atomic energy commission, atomic power, baba amte, business science, chavan, civilian awards, deputy chief minister, jayant narlikar, literature arts, mangesh, nuclear scientist, padma bhushan, pandit bhimsen joshi, prithviraj, ratan tata, society business, sports society, sulochana, sunil gavaskar