Jyoti Basu injures leg after fall, could not vote (Lead)May 13th, 2009 - 11:47 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 13 (IANS) Veteran Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Jyoti Basu injured his left leg after a fall in his bathroom in the wee hours Wednesday and could not vote in the Lok Sabha election, his personal aide said.
The 95-year-old leader was administered medicines at home by doctors, who termed the injury as minor, the aide said.
“Basu is now under medical supervision at home. But doctors said there’s no cause for worry. He can’t vote this time because of his ailing health. He is now resting,” Basu’s personal assistant Joykrishna Ghosh told IANS.
West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi called on Basu at his Salt Lake residence in the evening to enquire about his health.
“I saw him. He was in good spirits and discussed international and national politics,” Gandhi told reporters after coming out of Indira Bhavan - Basu’s residence.
Asked about Basu’s health, the governor said: “He is frail. But he still has the same humour and wit in his conversation that he had earlier.”
Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee also met Basu at his residence this evening.
This is the first time in 63 years that Basu has not exercised his franchise.
In 1946, he contested his maiden election to the Bengal Provincial Assembly from the Railways Reserved constituency.
The veteran communist leader has a blood clot in the brain from a fall at his Salt Lake residence September last year. The doctors had advised surgery but Basu did not opt for it.
Born July 8 1914, in Kolkata to a wealthy family, Basu was the state’s chief minister from 1977 to 2000, when he quit voluntarily on health grounds.
- Jyoti Basu injured after fall, can't vote this time - May 13, 2009
- Jyoti Basu is stable, to remain under medical observation - Jul 19, 2009
- Gopalkrishna Gandhi greets Jyoti Basu on birthday eve - Jul 07, 2009
- Jyoti Basu discharged from hospital (Lead) - Jul 20, 2009
- Jyoti Basu on ventilator due to breathing trouble - Jan 06, 2010
- Jyoti Basu conscious, stable - Jan 02, 2010
- Jyoti Basu hospitalised with pneumonia (Second Lead) - Jan 01, 2010
- Jyoti Basu stable, undergoing physiotherapy - Jan 05, 2010
- Jyoti Basu unlikely to vote in Lok Sabha polls - May 11, 2009
- Jyoti Basu's condition improves marginally - Jan 03, 2010
- Jyoti Basu stable, responding to treatment (Lead) - Jan 02, 2010
- Jyoti Basu hospitalised with chest infection (Lead) - Jan 01, 2010
- Jyoti Basu still critical, urine output down - Jan 14, 2010
- Hundreds remember Jyoti Basu, want house converted to museum - Jul 08, 2010
- Jyoti Basu still critical, but infection level slightly down - Jan 13, 2010
Tags: blood clot, blood clot in the brain, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, constituency, gandhi, health grounds, indira, left leg, lok sabha election, medical supervision, national politics, personal aide, personal assistant, provincial assembly, veteran communist leader, wealthy family, wee hours, west bengal