Judge rebuffs Obama; refuses to suspend Gitmo hearingJanuary 30th, 2009 - 10:35 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 30 (DPA) A military judge in Gutananamo Bay Thursday denied a request by the Obama administration to suspend the proceedings against a Yemeni suspected of plotting the October 2000 attack on the USS Cole.The Washington Post reported online that the Army judge, Colonel James Pohl, found the reasoning to suspend the proceedings for 120 days “unpersuasive”.
Pohl’s decision places a glitch in President Barack Obama’s plans to seek delays in the 21 cases before military tribunals at Guantanamo so the files can be reviewed and as Obama weighs options for closing the notorious prison camp and for trying detainees.
White House Robert Gibbs said the ruling would not thwart the ongoing evaluation of the Guantanamo cases. “Not at all,” he said.
Shortly after taking office Jan 20, Obama ordered prosecutors to seek four-month suspensions of the proceedings, which were quickly granted in other cases. But Pohl ruled that moving forward with the hearing for Abd al Rahim al-Nashiri would not interfere with Obama’s review, the Post reported.
Obama could respond by ordering the charges against al-Nashiri withdrawn. Al-Nashiri is scheduled to be arraigned Feb 9 on charges of plotting the suicide attack in the Gulf of Aden that killed 17 US sailors.
Obama has ordered the closure of Guantanamo within a year and has assembled a committee to review what could be done with the remaining 245 detainees and how to proceed with those who can be charged with crimes. Obama is seeking possible alternatives to the controversial military tribunals set up by predecessor George W. Bush.
A judge last week agreed to suspend the cases against Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the Sep 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, and four co-defendants. The case against Canadian citizen Omar Kadr, accused of killing a US soldier in Afghanistan when he was 15 years old, was also suspended.
- No 9/11 accused has gone to the gallows - Sep 10, 2011
- Senior al-Qaeda member put 'jihad over sex' by taking "impotence" injections - Apr 27, 2011
- Pakistani-American pleads guilty to terror charges - Mar 01, 2012
- 9/11 mastermind to be tried in New York - Nov 13, 2009
- Al Qaeda man made himself impotent to focus on jihad - Apr 29, 2011
- 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed faces New York trial (Second Lead) - Nov 14, 2009
- Obama reverses order halting military trails of Guantanamo detainees - Mar 08, 2011
- Obama will have to sign 9/11 suspect Sheikh's death warrant if military court says so - Apr 06, 2011
- CIA interrogators staged mock executions: Report - Aug 22, 2009
- US prosecutors file fresh charges against 9/11 suspects - Jun 01, 2011
- US military judge seals sentence of bin Laden's former cook - Aug 10, 2010
- Holder blames Congress for forcing 9/11 mastermind, accomplices' trial at Guantanamo Bay - Apr 05, 2011
- Obama orders resumption of Guantanamo trials - Mar 08, 2011
- Tropical storm forces delay of 9/11 trial - Aug 24, 2012
- 9/11 Pakistani mastermind, 4 others sent for trial - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: abd al rahim al nashiri, barack obama, canadian citizen, colonel james, george w bush, glitch, gulf of aden, james pohl, khalid sheikh mohammed, military judge, military tribunals, notorious prison, prison camp, rahim, robert gibbs, sep 11 2001, suicide attack, uss cole, washington post, yemeni