JPC members get lessons on mobile phone technologyMay 18th, 2011 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 18 (IANS) It was like “back to school days” for members of the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) probing alleged irregularities in the allocation of 2G licences as they were given lessons on mobile phone technology and the basics of spectrum here Wednesday.
The MPs who constitute the panel, headed by Congress leader P.C. Chacko, were made to sit in classroom-type conditions and had officials of the telecom department and experts brief them on the spectrum technology and how satellites are used to send and receive mobile phone signals.
The MPs emerged smiling from the “classroom” and said it was like “back to school days”.
Speaking privately, because they are not allowed to on the issue, they said the meeting ended in a cordial atmosphere. There was no mention of the row between Congress and opposition members over inclusion of former ministers and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MPs Jaswant Singh and Yashwant Sinha in the panel.
The Congress had objected to their inclusion because as BJP ministers, they had played a key role in formulating the telecom policy when the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance was in power.
An MP said the issue was not raised because Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has “already settled the issue”.
The JPC was formed after a persistent demand by the opposition for a parliamentary probe into the 2G spectrum scam, at the centre of which is jailed former communications minister A. Raja who is alleged to have sold the licences to private firms at throwaway prices, causing a presumptive loss of Rs 1.76 lakh crore to the nation.
- JPC examining NDA's 1999 telecom policy, summons Sorabjee (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- JPC quizzes CAG on 2G spectrum loss assessment - May 30, 2011
- JPC probing 2G scam gets time till May 2012 - Sep 06, 2011
- 2G JPC may not meet monsoon session deadline - Jul 11, 2011
- 'Maran rejected key telecom pricing proposal' - Jul 07, 2011
- 30-member JPC formed to probe 2G scam, telecom policy (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- JPC quizzes former telecom secretary - Jul 27, 2011
- Chacko to head parliamentary panel to probe 2G scam - Mar 04, 2011
- JPC/PAC: Rein in Joshi, Congress tells BJP - Apr 04, 2011
- PAC vs JPC: 2G spectrum probe turf war intensifies - Mar 24, 2011
- JPC meets CBI officials, to call Maran on 2G spectrum (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- Congress, BJP clash in JPC probing 2G scam - Jun 19, 2012
- JPC asks CAG to explain how 2G loss is Rs.1.76 lakh crore - May 19, 2011
- BJP MPs walk out of 2G JPC meet (Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- JPC set up to probe 2G spectrum, telecom policy (Roundup) - Feb 24, 2011
Tags: chacko, classroom type, congress leader, cordial atmosphere, crore, janata party, jaswant singh, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, mobile phone technology, national democratic alliance, opposition members, parliamentary committee, parliamentary probe, persistent demand, private firms, spectrum technology, telecom department, telecom policy, throwaway prices