JPC asked to quiz Chidambaram on 2GJuly 28th, 2011 - 10:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 28 (IANS) Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Yashwant Sinha has written to the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC), asking it to quiz Home Minister P. Chidambaram over his alleged involvement in the telecom scandal when he was finance minister.
Sinha sent a letter on Wednesday to P.C. Chacko, chairman of the JPC examining India’s telecom policies from 1998-2008, sources said Thursday.
The sources said that many other JPC members have also urged Chacko to call various former finance ministers as witnesses before the multi-party parliamentary panel probing the 2G scam.
“I am collecting all the letters and the committee will take a decision on whom to call,” Chacko told reporters after a JPC meeting here.
He said politicians, including “former telecom ministers and finance ministers, will appear before the committee” after it was done with quizzing all other witnesses, including former telecom officials and representatives of private telecom firms who had allegedly benefited during former IT and communication minister A. Raja’s tenure.
Raja, who is now in the Tihar Jail, recently dragged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Chidambaram in the 2G case.
During a court hearing over the case Tuesday, Raja asked why Manmohan Singh had not constituted a group of ministers (GoM) for 2G spectrum allocation.
He also wanted Chidambaram to be called as witness in the case before the court.
- Congress, BJP clash in JPC probing 2G scam - Jun 19, 2012
- BJP mulls quitting JPC on 2G, says chairman 'dictatorial' (Third Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- BJP members walk out of 2G JPC (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- BJP MPs walk out of 2G JPC meet, say no point in continuing (Second Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- BJP MPs walk out of 2G JPC meet (Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- 2G scam: JPC to quiz former telecom secretaries - Jul 06, 2011
- BJP terms Congress 'obstinate' - Aug 23, 2012
- NDA's 1999 telecom policy under JPC scanner - May 18, 2011
- 'Maran rejected key telecom pricing proposal' - Jul 07, 2011
- JPC examining NDA's 1999 telecom policy, summons Sorabjee (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- JPC seeks finance ministry note on 2G - Sep 23, 2011
- Congress slams BJP for walkout from 2G JPC (second lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Chacko to head parliamentary panel to probe 2G scam - Mar 04, 2011
- PAC vs JPC: 2G spectrum probe turf war intensifies - Mar 24, 2011
- Congress slams Sinha for attacks on Chidambaram - May 07, 2011
Tags: chacko, court hearing, finance minister, finance ministers, home minister, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, p chidambaram, parliamentary committee, parliamentary panel, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, raja, spectrum allocation, telecom firms, telecom officials, telecom policies, tihar jail, yashwant sinha