Joshi’s ‘magic wand’ that got the PM to smileAugust 24th, 2011 - 4:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 24 (IANS) The Lok Sabha broke into peels of laughter - and even Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s usually impassive face creased into a smile - during Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Murli Manohar Joshi’s speech on the otherwise contentious issue of corruption.
Joshi quoted the prime minister’s Independence Day speech in which he had said “the government had no magic wand to end corruption” during the debate on corruption in the Lok Sabha.
The BJP MP said: “Science and technology has developed in India. We need to invent a magic wand to end corruption.”
As a result, Manmohan Singh, who usually doesn’t show any emotion in the house, could not stop smiling.
Noticing a response from the prime minister to his remark, Joshi said he had been “waiting to see the smile on Dr. Singh’s face”.
“There is a smile on your face. I have been dying for this day. This is a very special day for the parliament,” added Joshi.
- I have never connived with corruption: PM - Aug 25, 2011
- UPA government born out of corruption: Joshi - Aug 24, 2011
- PM's speech failed to address people's concerns: BJP, Left - Aug 15, 2011
- Mistakes maybe but I never connived with corruption: PM (Lead) - Aug 25, 2011
- BJP wing to hold Kisan parliament in Delhi Saturday - May 11, 2012
- Parliament starts on peaceful note - Aug 24, 2011
- Government embarrassed, bill for statutory status for Lokpal defeated - Dec 28, 2011
- Joshi re-appointed PAC chief for one year - May 01, 2011
- Murli Manohar Joshi supports demand for JPC on 2G scam - Dec 30, 2010
- UPA trying to curb voices against graft, says Joshi (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Parliament disrupted over coal block allocations (Roundup) - Sep 06, 2012
- Atrocities on Hindu women in Pakistan: BJP corners government - May 02, 2012
- BJP targets PM, Chidambaram in 2G case - Feb 01, 2012
- Joshi challenges government to dump report on 2G scam - May 09, 2011
- Speaker may call all-party meeting to break JPC impasse - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,