Joshi quits BJP national executive, Modi to attend meeting (Second Lead)May 24th, 2012 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 24 (IANS) Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sanjay Joshi, known as Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi’s bete noire, Thursday resigned from the party’s national executive. Modi would now be attending the national executive meeting, party president Nitin Gadkari said.
Joshi quit “on his own so that there are no differences within the party over his presence”, Gadkari told reporters ahead of the two-day national executive meeting beginning Thursday.
Gadkari said he had spoken to Modi, who had left Ahmedabad for Mumbai to attend the meeting.
“Modi has assured me that he is ready to work shoulder-to-shoulder with me in strengthening the party and the nation. I welcome him to the national executive,” he said.
Gadkari expressed happiness that the controversy plaguing the party in this regard has ended.
Party sources said Joshi offered to resign after Modi reportedly said he would not attend the two-day meeting due to Joshi’s inclusion in the national executive.
Modi had kept away from the Uttar Pradesh assembly elections as Joshi was given a key post in managing the campaigning for the party.
Joshi had to resign from the post of party general secretary in 2005 after a clip of him showing in a compromising position with a woman was circulated.
Gadkari later reinstated Joshi in the party, a move that caused a rift between the party president and Modi.
- Modi's rival offers to quit BJP national executive (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Sanjay Joshi offers to quit BJP national executive - May 24, 2012
- Modi wins, Joshi quits, BJP downplays conflict (Fourth Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Modi to attend BJP meet, Joshi quits (Third Lead) - May 24, 2012
- Joshi fears for his life, writes to Chidambaram - Jul 09, 2012
- Modi needs to review style of working: RSS mouthpiece (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- (VM) Joshi fears for his life, writes to Chidambaram (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- BJP: A divided house despite patch-up moves - May 26, 2012
- Sanjay Joshi quits BJP (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Sanjay Joshi, Modi's foe, quits BJP (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- BJP sacrificed Joshi for Modi, says Congress - May 24, 2012
- Will Modi be BJP's prime ministerial candidate? - May 27, 2012
- Posters target Modi for Sanjay Joshi exit (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- BJP bows to Modi, Joshi quits party (Roundup) - Jun 08, 2012
- Posters target Modi for Sanjay Joshi exit - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, bete noire, bharatiya janata party, bjp leader, campaigning, chief minister, controversy, executive meeting, general secretary, gujarat, happiness, inclusion, may 24, narendra modi, nitin, party president, party sources, regard, sanjay joshi, uttar pradesh