Joshi asks PAC members to apologise to CAGNovember 22nd, 2011 - 10:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 22 (IANS) Public Accounts Committee (PAC) chairman Murli Manohar Joshi has asked panel members who made “wild allegations” against Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Vinod Rai to tender “unqualified apologies”.
Joshi, a veteran Bharatiya Janata Party leader, has written a six-page letter to PAC members asking the members not to level allegations against the CAG or motives attributed to his findings.
The letter comes after Congress members attacked the CAG in a PAC meeting and objected to his presence when his former colleague R.P. Singh was being questioned over the 2G audit report.
“The honourable members who made wild allegations against and cast aspersions on the CAG in the PAC must withdraw their words and render unqualified apologies to the CAG,” the letter says.
It adds that CAG and his representatives shall continue to be present when a witness is called to depose before the panel so that their expert opinion and advices are instantly available to the committee in cross examining the witnesses.
It said if the members feel the CAG had exceeded his jurisdiction or his findings were not based on facts, they could seek “remedy under the Rules of Procedure and the procedure prescribed for the purpose”.
The letter said no allegations or defamatory remarks could be made against the CAG, who is accorded the status of a judge of the Supreme Court.
- BJP slams official terming 2G scam loss mathematical guess - Nov 15, 2011
- Rift forces adjournment of PAC meeting - Oct 31, 2011
- Nobody influenced 2G report: CAG Vinod Rai - Nov 16, 2011
- Did BJP's Joshi influence CAG's 2G report? - Nov 15, 2011
- Did PAC chief Joshi influence CAG's 2G report? - Nov 15, 2011
- PAC will decide on PM's offer to appear before it: Joshi (Second Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- Never tried to influence CAG: Joshi - Nov 16, 2011
- PAC to consider PM offer to depose on spectrum, says Joshi (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- Tewari's 'rein him in' remark irks Joshi - Apr 05, 2011
- CAG Rai, Joshi deny 2G audit was influenced (Lead) - Nov 16, 2011
- PM offers to appear before PAC, BJP's Joshi says will decide (Roundup) - Dec 27, 2010
- 2G scam: Decision on PM's appearance before PAC at an appropriate time, says Joshi - Dec 27, 2010
- PAC quizzes army, air force chiefs on canteen irregularities - Jan 12, 2011
- PM writes to PAC chief, ready to depose before panel (Second Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- PAC chief Joshi writes to Speaker against Sibal - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: allegations, apologies, aspersions, audit report, cag, colleague, comptroller, congress members, defamatory remarks, honourable members, motives, murli manohar joshi, New Delhi, pac chairman, pac members, panel members, party leader, public accounts committee, r p singh, six page letter