John Edwards ordered to repay back $2.3 millionJuly 22nd, 2011 - 12:05 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Washington, July 21 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The Federal Election Commission has ruled that John Edwards was given excess campaign money during his 2008 presidential bid. Subsequently the former Democratic presidential candidate has been ordered to pay back about $2.3 million.
The commission voted 6-0 to force Edwards to pay back the money. The ruling of the FEC follows an audit into the 2008 funding and financial use of Edwards’ campaign money. The decision was reached after a public hearing by the commission.
The decision of the FEC adds to the pressure on Edwards who is separately being tried for improper use of campaign money. Federal charges have been preferred against Edwards for covering up his affair with Rielle Hunter using about $1 million of his 2004 campaign funds.
The FEC said its investigation has revealed that Edwards received $2.1 million more in federal funding than he was entitled to in 2008. In another revelation, Edward was found to have sent almost $142,000 in checks to some donors. The amount was however not cashed, the report from FEC stated.
According to an estimate from the Associated Press, Edwards received the least in public campaign funding when his amount of $13 million was compared to those of then rivals Barack Obama and Hilary Clinton.
USA Today reports that a recent financial audit of Edwards’ campaign account has revealed that he still has about $2.6 million in balance.
- Biden fined 219K dollars for 2008 presidential campaign violations - Jul 19, 2010
- Former US senator indicted - Jun 04, 2011
- Rielle Hunter dumped John Edwards - Jun 03, 2011
- Federal Court Summons John Edwards' Donor Relatives For Testimony - Dec 07, 2010
- Obama to launch 2012 re-election campaign this week - Apr 03, 2011
- Fai's Kashmir lobby was front for Pakistani intelligence: US - Mar 31, 2012
- U.S. prosecutors to bring charges against Senator Edwards - May 26, 2011
- John Edwards to marry mistress Rielle Hunter? - Feb 15, 2010
- John Edwards In The Hot Seat Over Campaign Cash & Affair! - May 14, 2010
- National Enquirer planning to come out with a reality show - Jun 11, 2011
- Edward used campaign money to cover-up of illicit affair? - May 04, 2009
- Ex US prez hopeful Edwards to testify on ties with Hunter - Apr 24, 2010
- John Edwards To Marry Mistress Rielle Hunter? - Jan 07, 2011
- $150,000 Sarah Palin shopping spree pronounced legal - May 20, 2009
- Ex US prez candidate Edwards to admit he fathered his mistress' daughter - Aug 14, 2009
Tags: 1 million, 6 million, associated press, barack obama, campaign account, campaign funds, campaign money, democratic presidential candidate, donors, fec, federal charges, federal election commission, financial audit, hilary clinton, john edwards, public campaign, public hearing, revelation, rivals, usa today