Jogi seeks probe into illegal diamond miningSeptember 19th, 2012 - 1:37 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Sep 19 (IANS) Senior Congress leader and former chief minister Ajit Jogi Wednesday sought a high-level probe into an alleged illegal diamond mining scam in a forested area of Gariaband district in Chhattisgarh.
Jogi claimed that traders of others states such as Odisha, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh were illegally mining diamond at Behradih and Pailikhand mines.
The two mines are located in the newly-formed Gariaband district, which is 92 km from here.
“A complete loot of natural resources is going on under the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) regime,” Jogi said in a press statement here.
“Traders are taking out precious diamond illegally, while bauxites are being mined from Kawardha district and iron ore from Bastar region.
“The government must order a high-level probe into the matter,” Jogi said.
He stated that if the “loot continues, no water, forest and natural resources will be left in the state”.
According to official sources, the Madhya Pradesh government had awarded a prospecting licence for Pailikhand area to B. Vijaykumar Chhattisgarh Exploration Pvt Ltd (BVCE) in 2000 that confirmed diamond deposits there.
The state government had cancelled prospecting licence of BVCE in 2001 and deployed police security around the mine.
In 2009, the security cover was withdrawn after Maoists consolidated themselves in the area which is dominated by poverty-hit tribals.
- Stop diamond firm from mining in Chhattisgarh: Ajit Jogi - Sep 19, 2011
- Diamond reserve in Chhattisgarh under Maoist control - Jun 20, 2010
- Congress to probe 'illegal diamond mining' - Sep 23, 2009
- Half of Chhattisgarh's diamond belt in Maoist strongholds (Lead) - Aug 02, 2010
- Diamond loot on in Chhattisgarh mines - Oct 17, 2009
- Chhattisgarh to start diamond mining in three years: Chief Minister - Dec 15, 2009
- Alcohol, traders drive Chhattisgarh's illegal diamond mining - Dec 05, 2009
- 26 held for illegal diamond mining - Jul 24, 2010
- Jogi for CBI probe into wildlife killings - Nov 21, 2011
- Diamonds being mined illegally in Chhattisgarh: Congress - Oct 01, 2009
Tags: ajit jogi, andhra pradesh, bharatiya janata party, chief minister, congress leader, diamond deposits, diamond mining, forested area, gujarat, iron ore, level probe, loot, madhya pradesh government, maharashtra, maoists, police security, precious diamond, prospecting licence, pvt ltd, vijaykumar