Jharkhand to provide lunch for Rs.5 to the poorAugust 3rd, 2011 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Aug 3 (IANS) In a major move to provide food cheaply to its high number of poor people, the Jharkhand government Wednesday announced subsidised lunch at Rs.5 and salt at 50 paise a kg to the poor.
Jharkhand Food and Supplies Minister Mathura Mahto said the Rs.5 subsidised lunch scheme for the poor would be launched from Aug 15.
“The subsidized lunch at Rs.5 will be started from Independence day in all the 24 districts of the state. A total 100 food centres will be opened to provide subsidised lunch,” Mahto told reporters here.
Under the subsidised lunch scheme, the state will provide 200 grams of rice and pulses. The food centres will be run through NGOs and the state government will monitor the scheme.
Mahto said that subsidised salt at 50 paise per kg will be sold to BPL families from the current month.
“Tenders have been floated inviting parties to supply iodised salt,” said the minister. The state cabinet Tuesday cleared the proposal of subsidised salt at 50 paise to 35 lakh BPL families. The state government has launched the scheme of subsidised salt to poor families to check the spread of diseases due to deficiency of iodine.
The minister also announced that ration cards will be distributed from September. “We have received 65 lakh applications for ration cards and the process to distribute ration cards will begin from September,” the minister said.
More than half of Jharkhand’s three crore population comes under the Below Poverty Level bracket.
- Iodised salt for Jharkhand poor at 50p a kg - Jul 31, 2011
- Shun violence, Jharkhand governor tells Maoists - Jan 26, 2012
- Andhra's rice scheme to benefit 75 mn people - Nov 01, 2011
- Proposed food bill will burden states: Dhumal - Dec 28, 2011
- Now Andhra to give rice at Re.1 a kg to its poor - Sep 21, 2011
- Tripura opposes food security bill - Oct 18, 2011
- Parliamentary panel on food bill to meet Jan 23 - Jan 18, 2012
- Poor in Jharkhand to get food grain, salt at nominal rate - Mar 05, 2010
- Centre, states to discuss food bill (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Action against fake poor in Tripura - Jul 31, 2012
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
- Price rise: Centre asks States to take up market intervention effectively - Feb 07, 2011
- Landmark food security bill tabled in parliament (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Over one lakh 'fake' poor in Tripura: Congress - Jun 26, 2011
- Rural restaurants for food security - and jobs too (Comment) - May 16, 2012
Tags: bpl, food centres, independence day, iodine, jharkhand government, kg, lunch, mathura, ngos, poor families, population, poverty level, proposal, ranchi, ration cards, spread of diseases, state cabinet, state government, tenders